By Dawn's Early Light by Grundy

| | |

From Sunnydale to Rivendell


Celebrían looked around the room. It had once been her living room, but no more. After tonight it would be Giles’ living room, and Faith’s. They would be staying. The others- her daughter’s sister and brother of the heart and their lovers had been unanimous in their desire to come with her to Arda, unknown though it was. Even after Celebrían had explained as gently as she could that Anariel and Tindomiel would neither age nor be subject to the Gift of Men- not unless they chose that path.

In truth, in the deepest part of her heart, Celebrían feared Anariel might. She had no memory of Arda or life among the Eldar- how could she, young as she had been? It was true that Tindomiel had never known these things either, but Tindomiel was also younger and less bound to the world of Men. Anariel had spent years of her mortal life as their champion, blessed by whatever greater powers watched over this world. She had been ready to sacrifice all for them, and that Willow and Xander had refused to let her go into the unknown without them might well tip the balance when the day came for her to choose her fate.

But that day was surely long in the future, at least as long as the life of the Secondborn- the children accompanying her children would be cherished and protected in her husband’s house or in her mother’s realm for as long as they lived. For now, the task was to return home.

She had been uncertain what if anything they could take with them- after all, she had arrived with nothing but Anariel. But in the end, every one of the children had a small pack with them, with a few favored items of clothing and those most precious possessions they couldn’t bear to leave behind- in Anariel’s case, mostly weapons, but also a certain stuffed pig.

Tindomiel brought her only weapon, a crossbow her sister had gifted her, but was also hugging a black leather jacket she was currently trying not to drizzle with tears. Willow’s choice had been some books and a laptop with a solar charger she had liquidated her life savings to pay for. Xander had packed a few comic books and a small box he had diligently kept from Anya’s sight, which had made Celebrían smile- she suspected he would find the smiths of Imladris and Lorien produced far finer work than he could hope to afford here.

Tara and Anya carried the least. Tara had only a small duffel bag. She had decided that Miss Kitty Fantastico should remain here, as there was no telling how she might react to a change in dimensions. The cat had been given over to Faith, much to the newly released Slayer’s surprise. Anya, upon learning that American money would be of no use in Arda, had proceeded to quiz Celebrían thoroughly on what life in Arda might be like and what materials would be useful for barter despite all assurances that Buffy’s family would certainly be able to provide them living space, food, and work in abundance without thought of money. In the end, she had produced a small case of precious and semi-precious stones, on the logic that at least some of them were bound to be unusual enough to fetch a decent price.

Celebrían’s own pack contained a few small handcrafted things she thought might be of interest to the folk of Imladris, and photos of her daughters so her family need not feel like they had lost a cherished elfling only to regain two strangers. And, of course, some food. As the only true adult in this expedition, she had prepared for the eventuality that the portal would not work as smoothly as hoped and they might enter Arda a long journey from her home or her mother’s realm.

She turned to Giles, who stood with a clearly uncomfortable Faith at his side. Spike had already said his goodbyes, and hadn’t been seen since. She hoped he would return- the two remaining to continue the fight against the darkness could use an ally. Anariel’s strength had been that she didn’t fight alone.

“I suppose this is it, Rupert,” she said. “If Willow and Tara are ready, that is?”

The two witches nodded.

“All we need to finish the spell and open the portal is a drop of Dawn’s blood,” Willow said. “Once we add that, hello yellow brick road.”

Celebrían smiled at the thought of the linguistic confusion her daughters and their friends were about to unleash on Imladris.

“We will miss you, Rupert. Take care of Faith. I foresee that she will need guidance to rediscover her courage. But once she does, she will be as great a champion as any your Council has known.”

Faith managed a small smile. Celebrían knew the girl barely trusted anyone, even herself, after all she’d been through. She only hoped that her small vote of confidence might help the girl shoulder the burden that now fell to her.

The children all said their goodbyes, with a good deal of sniffling and in Tindomiel’s case, unabashed tears. Celebrían held her daughter’s hand tightly as she offered the other to Willow, who pricked one finger with a small silver knife. Then she gripped both her daughters tightly as the two witches chanted their spell.

As promised, the portal opened. Celebrían focused on Imladris, on home, her husband, her sons, and their people- that, Tara had told her, would help anchor the other side of the portal where they wanted it instead of some random place in Arda. It seemed to work- through the shimmer in the air, she could see the river bank she knew so well, and hear the cheerful burble of Bruinen.

Willow and Tara finished their chant and stood.

“We have to step through quickly,” Willow said. “I don’t know how long the portal will stay stable. It will close as soon as we go.”

“Everyone grab someone’s hand,” Anariel ordered. “We don’t want anyone getting left on the wrong side of the portal. Dawn goes through first-”

“No,” Celebrían corrected, “I go through first. I don’t want any misunderstandings.”

Especially since such misunderstandings would likely involve someone learning what an arrow wound felt like!

“Ok,” Anariel amended, “Mom goes first, and I go through last!”

Everyone linked hands, forming a chain. Celebrían stepped carefully through, mindful not to let go of Tindomiel’s hand even in her joy at finally setting foot on the soil of her home world. She was unsurprised to see sentries that she doubted the others would notice observing them from the trees. Turning, she saw the others trooping through the portal, Anariel looking back as she called a final farewell to Giles.

True to Willow’s word, the second Anariel came through the portal, it sealed itself behind them. It felt right, as if the very fabric of the world was knitting itself back together, whole as it hadn’t been before.

Celebrían was unsurprised to see the first elf to step out where they could see him was Glorfindel. His shock at who had arrived on the banks of Bruinen was evident to her, though she wasn’t sure the children would see it, unused to elves as they were.

“This is an unlooked for surprise,” he greeted her. “We had despaired of seeing you again on this side of the sea, my lady. And who might these be?”

Celebrían drew Tindomiel and Anariel to her.

“Anariel I think you remember, though she was much smaller the last time you saw her,” she said.

“She’s still pretty small now,” Tindomiel muttered, irrepressible as ever.

“And this is my youngest daughter, Tindomiel,” Celebrían finished, speaking as though no one had heard the comment, even though every elf in Imladris would doubtless know of it by nightfall. “The others are friends of my daughters who would not be parted from them.”

Glorfindel’s eyebrows rose as he regarded Tindomiel, with only a quick glance at the rest of the group.

“I can see you have much to tell us. But that can wait. There are others who will wish to welcome you home first.”

Indeed, she could hear the hoofbeats heralding the rapid approach of at least two others who could not wait. She was unsurprised to see both Elladan and Elrohir come flying into the clearing. Elladan, ever the more sedate one, reined his horse to a halt and dismounted with dignity, but Elrohir simply vaulted clear of his mount.

“Nana! It is true, you have returned to us!” he exclaimed, striding up to hug her tightly while his twin came to stand behind him.

“Mom, who’s that and why’s he calling you Nana? I know you said immortal, but you’re not old enough to be anyone’s grandmother, right?” Tindomiel demanded.

Celebrían smiled as she pulled free to regard her sons fondly. The folk of Imladris weren’t the only ones in for a surprise.

“Anariel, Tindomiel,” she said. “This is Elrohir and that is Elladan.”

“Hi,” Anariel said cautiously, only to be picked up and swung joyfully around by Elrohir, much to her sister’s amusement.

“Whoa! What the-”

“They are your brothers,” Celebrían finished. Mentally, she counted, reaching three before the stunned silence gave way to the children-except for Tara, who had retreated to a safer position near Glorfindel and seemed to be speaking quietly to him- all talking or protesting at once.

“We have brothers?”

“Mom, you didn’t say anything about brothers!”

“I remember only one sister- how is it there are two now?”

“Arwen is going to love having two small sisters to boss around.”

“Did Joyce mention Buffy having hot brothers before?”

“Ahn, not now.“

“Which one is which?”

Celebrían smiled. It was good to be home.


Table of Contents | Leave a Comment