The start of a beautiful friendship by Aprilertuile

| | |

A gift given and received


Huan had been accompanying Tyelkormo everywhere for a year when they found themselves riding back toward Oromë’s Woods with the rest of the family, his mother having decided she wanted inspiration straight from nature, and the whole family having decided to join her on at least part of her journey. 

Again. 

The presence of the hound had perturbed some of the courtiers, but it was the same ones who, once upon a time, had found Tyelkormo’s hair colour to be suspect and discussed his parentage just loudly enough to have created a rumour in Tirion, so he didn’t care much for their opinion truth be told. 

Huan was most happy when Tyelkormo went hunting, and they wandered the forests around his family’s lands. 

It was freeing to have such a steadfast hunting companion. 

Ah who was he kidding, Tyelkormo enjoyed having the dog as a companion, whether it was for hunting or just company as they travelled around. 

Tyelkormo was washing the family’s dirty laundry in the nearest river to their camp, with the help of Makalaurë, Huan lying in the shadow of a nearby tree, looking particularly at peace, when a presence that Huan and Tyelkormo knew well appeared in the area, making them both look up in the same direction, attracting Makalaurë’s attention on them. 

“Tyelko?”

“That’s... hm...”

Before Tyelkormo could finish his sentence, the sound of a galloping horse could be heard and Nahar appeared, Oromë on his back. Nahar slowed down in front of the two elves, and Makalaurë took a look at Tyelkormo:

“And you’re sure you didn’t just steal Huan right?”

Oromë’s laughter answered instead: “Good luck to anyone trying to force one of my hounds to do what they don’t want to do.”

“Oh right. So... No trouble then?”

“Not at all, worry not, young one.”

“Well, welcome lord Oromë. What may we do for you?” Tyelkormo greeted the Vala, looking mildly amused at his brother’s assumption, and itching to pet Nahar. 

To his defence, the horse was magnificent.

He was also annoyingly prickly and didn’t generally appreciate being approached by random elves. 

“I had a question for Huan and you.”

Tyelkormo looked surprised at that. 

“Uh. Well, Huan is here and so am I, I guess.”

“How do you enjoy riding together?” 

“Oh I know I certainly adore having Huan’s company. He’s a joy to travel with and everyone loves him at home.”

“That’s because your dog has more sense than you, and we know he’ll keep you safe when you go off on your own.” Makalaurë said with a snort. 

Oromë looked particularly amused at that, even as he raised an eyebrow toward Huan who was looking... Complicated, but quite pleased at that idea. 

“I wish I could protest that notion but...”

“Excuse you... Who between the dog and you went to poke at a skunk of all things!”

“It was limping! What was I supposed to do, just let it go without checking if it was fine?!”

Huan emitted a very expressive woof of approval, getting a side-eyed look from Tyelkormo for that betrayal. 

“It didn’t appreciate your help then.”

“Of course it didn’t. It had a bad bite on its leg, it hurt, and the fact I can talk to it and be understood doesn’t mean that it suppressed its instinct. When I cleaned up the wound to heal it, it hurt him so of course...”

Huan emitted a sort of mournful howl that made Oromë laugh loudly in amusement. 

That young hunter always got into situations . It was hilarious. 

“Then, Tyelkormo son of Fëanáro, little hunter prince of the noldor... I wish to give you first an open invitation to come join my hunters when you wish.”

Tyelkormo looked somewhere between pleased and excited at that invitation. 

“And I also wish to know if you and Huan would like to be partnered together from now on.”

“Wait...” Tyelkormo whispered, hesitant, looking at Huan. 

Tyelkormo looked utterly shocked at the idea even as Huan came to sit at his feet.

“Are you sure...?”

“You value your companion, and he values you. That’s all I can wish for in such a partnership.”

“Yes! Yes please! Thank you!” Tyelkormo answered hurriedly, lowering himself to the ground to hug Huan. 

Huan whose tail was waving madly, and licked his elf’s face in answer. 

“Then so be it.”


Table of Contents | Leave a Comment