All of you by chrissystriped

| | |

All of you


It had taken Celebrían and him all their stubbornness and skill in words to bring all their parents together for a meal. But Celeborn’s arrival had coincided with their anniversary and so they’d decided it was high time to celebrate — together.

Earendil was on a schedule, of course, but that had been easily accommodated by holding their celebration on the shore of Ekkaia, its foggy waves lapping at black sand. Celebrían had brought carpets to sit on, their bright colours glowing in the otherwise colourless landscape.

A fire burned cheerfully, heating two pots — one holding melted cheese, the other hot oil — and around it stood plates with meat, vegetables and bread cut into bite-sized pieces.

He smiled when he saw Maedhros fill Elwing’s cup and she nodded her thanks — uneasily but with grace. He was well aware of the divide that went through his family and he knew better than to forcibly try to mend it. But at times like these he also was aware of the people in his live he’d never see again and he refused to have his family draw apart even more.

He reached out to hold onto Elladan’s hand — the only one of his children to choose to sail.

“I wasn’t sure about this idea, when you invited me”, Elladan said softly. "But it seems to work."

“They behave because they love your father”, Celebrían said and kissed Elrond’s cheek. “And my father knows better than to criticize my choice of guests.” Celeborn had not been exactly happy about the presence of Maedhros and Maglor, but he did not argue with his daughter.

“And I thank you for your help”, Elrond told her. It had been her who’d convinced Maedhros to come. It made him happy that his wife and his father had become such good friends.

Elladan smiled at them with a joy in his eyes that came from having both his parents back, before he turned to Maglor to engage in a conversation. Elwing had turned to Celeborn while Maedhros and Galadriel were eyeing each other over the pots. It took Elrond a moment to realise they were engaged in some kind of eating contest.

He motioned at Earendil to join him and Celebrían and his father came over with a shy smile.

“Are you alright?”, Elrond asked. He’d looked a little lost to him.

“I’m always a bit overwhelmed with people around”, he admitted. “But I’m glad that you want to have me.”

Elrond laid his arm around his father’s shoulder. “Always, father.” The resentment he’d felt as a boy for a father who’d abandoned them was long gone. “I love you.”

All of you, he thought as he looked at his assembled family.


Chapter End Notes

Written for the Funky 70s challenge, I chose the prompt "fondue".


Table of Contents | Leave a Comment