Finding Home by Independence1776

| | |

Chapter 4

Elladan and Elrohir bring gifts from Arwen.


Elrond looked at the small trunk, its lid open so that the papers inside were on the verge of spilling out. Elladan smiled and carefully removed a packet wound with embroidery thread. “Arwen wrote these letters for you.”

Celebrían held out her hands and Elladan placed them there.

Elrohir said, “Before you read them, we have other things to show you.”

He lifted out a portfolio and spread several ink drawings on the table, all in Arwen’s hand. Elrond and Celebrían leaned over to look at them. He recognized Gondor-- but the children? “Who are they?”

“That’s Eldarion, their oldest. He’s five. The twins are Meldë and Melimë; they’re three and utter terrors,” Elrohir said.

Celebrían laughed. “That reminds me of two twins I know.”

Elladan and Elrohir immediately got the suspiciously innocent expressions on their face that always signified trouble when they were young. Elladan said, “I’m sure I don’t know who you’re talking about.”

“Of course not.” Elrond lifted up the family portrait, drawn not long ago from the children’s ages. “Did you draw this, Elladan?”

“On our last day there.”

Elrond put it down before the tears welling in his eyes could fall onto the drawing. Celebrían leaned against him, resting her head on his shoulder. They clasped hands. Their daughter would never come home, but this was more than he’d hoped to received. Arwen was happy and that had to be enough.


Table of Contents | Leave a Comment