Little Sparrow by Himring

| | |

Fanwork Notes

My prompt for the challenge was: the fat is in the fire.

This is a brief scene in Lorgan's hall during which nothing happens that needs extra warnings but the general background is the canonical one and therefore pretty grim.

Fanwork Information

Summary:

Life as a thrall of Lorgan is not easy. Tuor's capture complicates things.

Major Characters: Original Female Character(s), House of Hador

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Fixed-Length Ficlet

Challenges: Idiomatic

Rating: Teens

Warnings: Check Notes for Warnings

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 407
Posted on 13 October 2024 Updated on 13 October 2024

This fanwork is complete.

Little Sparrow

Read Little Sparrow

Fat dripped into the hearth fire below, which hissed, flared and spat. Pínfileg backed off as well as she could, while continuing to turn the spit, a rag wrapped around hand and forearm for protection. She sighed soundlessly. Her stomach was pinching with hunger again. She wished she could have saved some of that wasted fat for drippings.

But Lorgan was more interested in a display of luxury than in keeping his thralls well fed—or even preferred to keep them perpetually hungry, with barely enough food to keep the able-bodied working—and his fellow Easterlings followed their leader’s example.

Easterlings, thought Pinfileg, were people, most of them, even if they did serve Morgoth. Some of them would have been capable of occasional kindness to thralls, if they had not themselves feared Lorgan so much—and also the opinion of their peers. She had heard rumours that life was easier in smaller settlements.

About Lorgan, Pinfileg was less sure. She had heard that he had been to Angband twice and that even the Easterlings thought the second time Lorgan had come back changed. Maybe he had learned too much in that dark place—and maybe it was worse than that.

She saw Tuor enter the hall, hair bright in the gloom, still bearing up boldly under Lorgan’s treatment. Whatever the Easterlings claimed about the malice of Elves, those who raised him must have treated Tuor well. He stood out among the thralls, tall and strong and unbowed. Pinfileg wished that Tuor had not been so foolishly confident to give away his lineage to Lorgan, after his capture, but maybe he had just been unable to conceal it.

Now Lorgan was clearly trying to draw out any pockets of rebellion and resistance among the thralls by mistreating Tuor before their eyes.

Across the hall, Tuor’s eyes, fearless and clear, met her own, too unexpectedly for her to avoid it.

Unwise, unwise! she tried to convey to him silently. We would love to help, but it would only end up the worse for you and for us, both. Can’t you see that he is watching for that, watching all the time?

She was not sure whether Tuor understood any of this. She was being unwise herself; this was not a time or place even for silent exchanges.

It was almost with relief that she heard Lorgan’s steward outside call her Easterling name.


Chapter End Notes

The name "Pínfileg" means "little sparrow" in Sindarin and also supplies the title. It is from Chestnut-pod's wonderful Elvish name list, with much thanks. (Maybe this OC has a Sindarin name, because she is of part-Beorian ancestry.)

The piece was inspired by discomfort with a remark by Tolkien (which he might never have decided to publish in that form) that seems to suggest that Tuor found the Hadorian female thralls too pitiful to consider them as proper women. I did not want to ship him with any of them, but I felt they deserved more respect.

If I had managed to write something longer, there would have been a scene in which my thrall woman deliberately knocks over a laundry kettle in order to distract the Easterlings from Tuor. Maybe that will happen one day.

For now, this is 4 x 100 words in MS Word.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


Painful, how you've made the "unwomanly" thralls into actual people -- I love this peek into her mind, and how she's a survivor rather than not. Her strength really is in persisting and continuing, even if Tuor (JRRT) doesn't think so! I enjoyed this, many thanks.

Thank you very much, Quente! Good to hear that that came across like that. Of course, Tolkien did something similar with Aerin already (and I appreciate that he is capable of that empathy when he is paying attention), but I really wanted to extend that respect and sympathy also to women who are not close relatives of the protagonists! 

Lots of interest in this short piece. I like the balance of humanizing Easterlings generally with the intriguing/creepy visits of Lorgan to Angband. Your OC is sympathetic but sensible. And Tuor does decide to be patient under the poor treatment and bide his time, so maybe that is a wisdom he picks up from people like your Pinfileg. Nice work! 

What a terrible situation Pínfileg is in! I always enjoy reading your OCs. I appreciate that you looked and humanized one of the people who Tolkien dismisses. Lorgan's visits to Angband are intriguing and sinister . . . And his trying to hurt the thralls through any remaining loyalty to Húrin's family reminds me of the Ring's or Sauron's temptations, twisting the things people love and their best qualities to use against them.

Thank you very much, Zdenka! Good to hear that you liked reading about this OC! 

Tolkien does not give us much about Lorgan, but to me as a reader he gives off a more sinister impression than Brodda, because what he does seems more deliberate and he seems to be acting purposefully for Morgoth's interests as much as his own. (Of course, that doesn't make the sufferings of Brodda's victims any less!)