The Small and Secret Things by Dawn Felagund

| | |

Worries

One of Finarfin's children considers in retrospect his seeming frivolity in the face of political and familial upheaval. A drabble.

This, of course, hinges on the Felakverse notion that Finarfin tended to project an air of flightiness that was carefully contrived to preserve the delicate political and familial relationship between his brothers.

As for which of his children is speaking here? I have my own ideas, but you're welcome to picture whomever fits best for you.


I never understood my father.

Once, Fëanáro and Nolofinwë were fighting and it seemed that our world was about to topple into the abyss. And my father worried incessantly over a party menu.

"Fëanáro wants a Telerin dish but Nolofinwë adores that wine from Taniquetil, but I can't serve red wine with fish--"

While I sat in secret confidences with my brothers, wondering whom we would follow, come the inevitable.

Because, surely, Atar would go nowhere.

Now, at Araman, staring into the red-stained east, I think I know what Atar was trying to do.

But it is too late.


Chapter End Notes

Today's Word:

pukka PUHK-uh, adjective:

  1. Authentic; genuine.
  2. Good of its kind; first-class.

Pukka comes from Hindi pakka, "cooked, ripe," from Sanskrit pakva-, from pacati, "he cooks."


Table of Contents | Leave a Comment