Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


I was one of the two lucky recipients of this tale in the Probably AU Genfic Swap. 

If, like me when I first saw it, you are wondering about the title, no, it is AU (is it?) but not to the point where Elves have wings and make honey.

This is an absolutely great story, for far too many reasons to enumerate without giving away spoilers. The plot, the characterisations, the humour, etc. 

Just read it if you haven't already!

 

This story has a lot of hilarious touches, the "bee" language, the naked Nandor, the horrid evergreen liquor, and the cagy, daft Oropher with his made up songs and questionable hospitality. That Celeborn guy was the only sensible one of the bunch. ;-)

I loved the explantion of how Oropher came to be king, and the conversation between Arafinwe and Celeborn at about Galadriel was unexpectedly touching.

"Logic so faulty he might as well have been a son of Feanaro." *snicker*

 

Just got around to reading this and quite enjoyed it, particularly your characterization of Oropher, which I found highly amusing, and original. Also enjoyed your rather pompous Finarfin and his weak spot regarding Galadriel.   Interesting ideas of the dying Cuivienen and Eryn Galen as the New Cuivienen.  Your stories are always highly original and a fascinating combination of entertaining and readably erudite.

Thanks, Elfscribe.  I have a special, silly fondness for Oropher and all his zany antics.  Before I started this story I'd never given much thought to Finarfin, but he grew on me as well for all his good intentions and self-righteous blather.  I'm glad you liked them and their bizarre adventure.

I'm only now finding this story (since I've been away from fandom for 15 years) and I don't know if you'll ever see this comment, but I just wanted to say how much I enjoyed reading it. It's funny yet serious, and the picture you paint of "discovering new lands" is vivid and exciting. The parallel with First Nations people being thus "discovered" wasn't lost on me. Oropher is a trip. I especially loved his song lyrics. And I liked all the language stuff: Sindarin sounding like bees buzzing, Gil-galad speaking mediocre Quenya, the Nandor being impossible to understand. Of course, it makes total sense: language evolves. It makes Middle Earth seem real. Miss you, btw. Fandom isn't the same without you.