'Star People' & 'Orc' by Himring

| | |

Fanwork Notes

'Orc' was written for the SWG Challenge "New Beginnings".

Fanwork Information

Summary:

A short scene from the dungeons of Angband.

No actual gore, but Angband is Angband...

Now added: 'Orc' - an orc escapes from the Fall of Angband.

Major Characters: Elves, Orcs

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: General

Challenges: New Beginnings

Rating: Adult

Warnings: Torture, Mature Themes

Chapters: 2 Word Count: 359
Posted on 31 October 2010 Updated on 24 October 2015

This fanwork is complete.

Star People

A scene in the Pits of Angband

Read Star People

In the depths of Angband, a mother is trying to soothe her screaming children.

They have claws, these children. They have pointed teeth. Their voices would grate on the ear even if they were not screaming their heads off, as they are now. They are more orc-like than her, just as she is more orc-like than her parents were.

In the depths of Angband, a long struggle is gradually being lost, but children still need to be lulled to sleep. The dark that she no longer remembers is dark, the pain that she no longer remembers is pain—they weigh on her mind. But, with difficulty, she remembers the word.

El’, she croons. And repeats:  ‘El...el...el...

She’s never seen a star. Her children never will. But the savage little creatures curl up and go to sleep.


Chapter End Notes

 

This is how I remember it: El is the first word the first Elves said. In primitive Elvish, it meant "star", in later Elvish it is a base rather than itself a word and from that base both the words meaning "star" and "elf" are derived. Initially, all elves were "star people", not only those that undertook the journey to Aman.

Orc

An orc escapes from the fall of Angband at the end of the First Age

Read Orc

'Run, you idiot!' bellowed his mother and dealt him a heavy blow across his shoulders that sent him stumbling forward and, as the Great Mind faltered in its battle against the Host of Valinor, loosening its hold over the Pits of Angband just a little, the impetus released him into flight, striking out at anyone who came close enough to be within reach, but onwards, onwards, through fire and water, leaving his mother behind to die, running as the earth sank beneath his feet.

Panting, he climbed the slopes of the Blue Mountains and, as the Dark Will slowly faded at the back of his mind, succumbing to the final onslaught--as Thangorodrim tottered and fell, crushing whole armies beneath its weight--for the first time he glimpsed the green land of Eriador lying serene beneath the stars. It was then that he first sensed his emptiness, like a physical ache, unable to be filled.

There were others who had escaped, like him. They banded together for survival. Their language was snarls and blows, all hands against them and their hands against all. It was all they had been taught, and that teaching held them still. But he did not quite forget--not that moment of freedom nor how it had hurt.

Sometimes, alone in the night, he would bare his teeth hungrily, longingly at the stars.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


Thank you. It is certainly one of the most enduring of Morgoth's evils. After the War of Wrath, the Noldorin thralls in Angband are freed and so are the thralls of Sauron after the War of the Ring, or at any rate many of them, but neither Eonwe nor anyone else seems to have managed to do anything to free the orcs. Although I've once come across a fan fiction in which Aragorn made the attempt.