B2ME Day 3 - Stubborn by Erulisse

Fanwork Information

Summary:

B2MN Day 3 - Refusal to Change - What happened when the elves followed Orome to the West? 

Major Characters:

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Drama

Challenges: B2MeM 2011

Rating: General

Warnings:

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 352
Posted on 6 March 2011 Updated on 6 March 2011

This fanwork is complete.

Chapter 1

Read Chapter 1

Stubborn

 

  

 

Come with me.  The wonders of the journey and the beauty of the new lands across the great waters will overwhelm your heart.  

 

 

 

Stay here with me.  Our wide open spaces and welcoming trees beg for you to stay.  The beauties of our own land must still call to you. 

 

 

 

Come with me.  Their buildings are tall and filled with light.  The Beings who live in the West are kind and will welcome you and all of our people with open arms.  You will be cared for as would a beloved child and you will know fear no more. 

 

 

 

Stay here with me.  The softly lapping sounds of the waves against the shore are all the welcome that I need.  My beloved, you are all that I need, and we will care for each other and our children, raising them under the starlight from above. 

 

 

 

Come with me.  The horns are blowing and the Two Trees are waiting.  Our guide is mounted on his beast and our people are beginning to move out.  Please, my dearest one, the holder of my heart; come with me.  Join me and see the light. 

 

 

 

Stay here with me.  Let the horns blow and the people leave without you.  Among this large group of people you are only one more person.  But here with me, you are my everything, you are my life.  Beloved, leave not, but remain and endure here at the birthplace of our people.  Celebrate the stars and remain within the circle of my love for all of the long years of our life. 

 

 

 

But the call of the Trees and their light was too strong.  One left, traveling to the west, and living near the light of the Trees.  The other remained behind, wandering the lands of the east under the soft songs of the starlight.  Two hearts that had been beloved of each other were instead broken.  And if they met again, it is not written.  

 

 


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


This reminds me of the song of the Ents and the Entwives in LOTR. That was an elven song (or a translation of one), we are told, and here we are reminded that the Elves themselves had suffered an earlier sundering; indeed this is the first of many sunderings.

If it is not written that these two elves met again, it is not written that they did not...

Thank you so much for reading and reviewing, Himring.  You are certainly correct in that there are similarities between the song of the Ents and this give/take.  And I do hope that someday they do meet again, although many of the "dark" elves choose to be houseless instead of go to Mandos.  But hope springs eternal...

 

- Erulisse (one L)

 

Hello Erulisse,

Lovely story. Too short! I like that their arguments were of the positives they saw in each of their chosen lands. They sound to me to be a very loving couple. It shows how strong the longing of the light was to those who saw it. 

 

Like the other reviewers, I would love to see the another chapter. Maybe not their eventual meeting. Maybe messages passed on to them by others.

Thanks so much for taking the time to read and comment on the story. I hope someday to revisit these two, but am busy with other projects now that have pulled me far, far away. As an author, however, it is always helpful to have feedback and therefore, again, thank you for taking the time to feed me back :-)

 

- Erulisse (one L)