And They Looked Up and Saw a Star by grey_gazania

| | |

Chapter 3


When Elros woke the next morning, he found himself alone in the unfamiliar bed he’d been tucked into the night before. Instantly he was engulfed by a wave of panic. Where was Elrond? Had Fëanor’s sons stolen him away and murdered him in the night? The men had said they wouldn’t harm Elros or his brother, but they were Kinslayers. Their words couldn’t be trusted.

 

Still dressed in the hand-me-down tunic he’d been given last night, Elros stumbled out into the hall. “Elrond?” he called. “Elrond?”

 

No one answered, so he gathered his strength and shoved at the door closest to him. It was heavy, and he was red-faced by the time it creaked open. It led to a short corridor which soon opened into a wide hall that held a fireplace and a long table with two benches. The hall was almost empty, save for two figures. The man called Doronel sat darning a sock by the light of the fire, and a woman stood with her back turned to Elros by the near end of the table.

 

After a moment’s hesitation, Elros chose to approach the woman. He immediately regretted it, for when she turned he saw that it was Galwen, the silent soldier who had thwarted his brother’s struggles with bruising pinches and tracked the two of them through the forest when they’d tried to flee. He nearly turned tail and ran, for he found her as imposing as Maedhros and Maglor themselves.

 

He swallowed nervously and then, in a wavering voice, said, “My brother is missing. Have you seen him?”
 

She raised her eyebrows, but didn’t answer.

 

“She can’t speak aloud, lad,” Doronel said, glancing up from his work.

 

Galwen waved a hand at the ragged scars that covered her throat, the corners of her mouth tilting into a slightly mocking smile. Is that not obvious?, her face seemed to say.

 

Elros took that as permission to stare openly. “What happened?” he asked, momentarily distracted from his fear.

 

She bared her teeth and bent the fingers of her right hand into claws.

 

“Orcs,” Doronel translated for the boy. Galwen gestured again and he said, “A long time ago.”
 

Elros shivered. He’d never seen an orc, but he’d heard his father’s soldiers tell of them, how wave upon wave of the wicked creatures had overwhelmed the hidden city of Gondolin, led by great monsters of fire who wielded burning whips.

 

Doronel noticed. “You don’t have to worry about orcs here,” he said. “We take great care to keep them away from Amon Ereb. You’re in no danger.”

 

No danger? Elros though disbelievingly. Of course he was in danger. He was in the hands of the Sons of Fëanor, and Elrond was missing--

 

Elros gathered up his nerve and demanded, “Where is Elrond?”
 

“Your brother woke earlier than you did,” Doronel said. “Melloth took him to see Lord Maglor. She’ll be back for you.” He paused, setting the sock down upon his knee, and said, “No one here will harm him, or you. My lords have sworn it, and they never go back on their word.” He beckoned Elros closer and said, “Come along. I’ll take you to kitchens while we wait for them. You could use a hot meal.”

 

Elros made his way hesitantly towards the man. What other choice did he have?

 

Out of the corner of his eye, he saw Galwen’s hands move through the air again. Doronel laughed, but he offered Elros no translation as he placed a hand on the boy’s shoulder and guided him through another door. Once they were away from Galwen he said, “You’ll pick her language up soon enough. But she has some bite behind her bark, that one. I’d advise you not to pester her overmuch.”

 

***********

 

Maedhros was in his study again, bent over yet another map as he considered routes for this year’s winter patrols, when someone knocked softly on the door frame.

 

He looked up and saw that it was Galwen, and he beckoned her inside, wondering why she had come. He never turned any of his people away when they wished to speak to him, but Galwen had always been uncomfortable within stone walls, and she rarely ventured into the fortress proper.

 

She was one of the few followers of the Sons of Fëanor who had no Noldorin blood at all, instead being of mixed Avarin and Nandorin ancestry. While out hunting many yéni ago, she and her brothers had been set upon by a band of marauding orcs. Morgoth’s servants had killed her family before turning on her, shredding her throat with their teeth and claws.

 

But Amras and his men had been tracking those same orcs, and they arrived in time to slay the foul creatures before any could strike a killing blow. After the healers had tended to her, she had renamed herself Galwen, ‘fortunate woman’, and sworn loyalty to Amras in gratitude. She was fiercely devoted to him, for they were much alike in spirit, and she had fought beside him during the Dagor Bragollach and again in the Nirnaeth Arnoediad. By the time the Sons of Fëanor had descended upon Doriath, she was Amras’ right hand.

 

With Amras dead, she no longer owed the Sons of Fëanor any loyalty, and Maedhros couldn’t help but wonder whether she had come to him now to ask to be released from their service.

 

She entered the room hesitantly, as though she were a bird in danger of being caged, and stood silently before him, her hands still.

 

“Speak, Galwen,” Maedhros urged.

 

My lord Amras is dead, she signed, tears welling up in her dark eyes. Elwing’s men slew him, and I could not stop them. He saved my life, but when the time came, I could not save his.

 

Dropping her hands to her sides, she bowed her head and knelt down on one knee, remaining there in silence for a long moment. When she finally looked up to meet Maedhros’ gaze, her grief was still written plainly on her features, but it had been joined by determination.

 

I will follow you now, as I followed him, she said. My loyalty is yours, Lord Maedhros. Whatever you ask of me, know that I will do it.

 

Maedhros bent down and took her by the arm, gently easing her upright. “I accept your service,” he said quietly, “if this is what you truly want. But my brother’s death is not on your hands, and I would bear you no ill will if you chose to return to your people.”

 

Any chance I had of rejoining my people died at Doriath, she signed. They will never forgive me for what I did there, nor for what I have now done at the Havens of Sirion. Besides, my brothers are dead. There is nothing left for me among the Green-Elves. Doomed or not, your people are my family now.

 

“You honor us with your loyalty,” Maedhros said. Looking at her grieved face and the tension in her body, and remembering how Amras had always dealt with his own pain, he said, “I ask that you lead our next patrol of the southern woods.”
 

Yes, my lord, she signed, and Maedhros could see gratitude in her eyes. Having a task out in the forest would do more to ease her suffering than all the time in the world spent at rest.
 

 

***********

Down in the kitchens, Doronel had returned to his darning, and a woman named Cúroneth had set a steaming bowl of porridge in front of Elros.
 

“So which twin are you?” she asked, pressing a spoon into his hand.
 

“Elros,” he said around a mouthful of porridge, forgetting his manners. The meal was bland, not accompanied by honey or milk the way it had been at home, but it was hot and he was hungry.

 

Whatever Cúroneth said in answer was lost in the gust of chill wind that howled into the kitchen as the outer door opened.

 

“Elros!”

 

At his brother’s voice, a wave of relief flooded through Elros, and he hurriedly turned away from his porridge. Elrond was fully dressed and wrapped in a cloak, and he scurried to Elros’ side as Maglor and Melloth walked through the door behind him.
 

“You’re awake,” Maglor said, sounding pleased. “Good. I’ve spoken to your brother; now I must speak to you.”

Elrond’s face was turned away, visible only to Elros, and Elros didn’t miss the look of displeasure that crossed his brother’s features. He wondered why Maglor wanted to speak to them separately.

 

“Finish your porridge,” Maglor was saying, seemingly oblivious to Elrond’s feelings. “Then we’ll take you to get some proper clothes, and you and I will talk.”

 


Table of Contents | Leave a Comment