Things of Beauty by LadyBrooke

| | |

Chapter 1


The Flowering Stars
Elu is generous with his gifts to his family. Not just his daughter, but his nephews and their families as well.

When Nimloth is grown, he bargains for a necklace of silver stars with flower petals appearing from them from the Dwarves.

War soon comes to Doriath, not from orcs or Noldor, but from descendants of the Dwarves who had made the necklace.

Nimloth is saved by the necklace, because Dwarven arrows are stopped by few things, but they will always yield to Dwarven craftwork, even a necklace of flowering stars as their owner flees through the woods to safety.

Crowns of Dragon Fire
Azaghâl dies in the battle against Glaurung, who flees the field of battle, taking with him his fire and his brood.

The Dwarves of Belegost gather their lord and carry his body away, along with the twisted metal left by the dragon’s fire.

They take that back to their forges. They do not reshape the twisted shapes to make them more beautiful to Men and Elves, but merely set them onto a band.

Azaghâl wounded the dragon, and their future lords will wear the dragon’s fire on their heads to remind any dragon of that when they face dwarves again.

Light of Sun and Moon
Celebrimbor tells Narvi of Fëanor’s folly in making the Silmarils.

Narvi will not repeat the mistakes of taking something that the Valar would oppose, no matter how much he rejects their ownership of everything.

But he takes wire to the door and holds it in the moonlight and in the sunlight, until he is sure he has captured the light’s image in them.

He twists them into a circlet and presents it to Celebrimbor at their next meeting, telling him that lords of lands need crowns, and if Celebrimbor will not make himself one, the dwarves will simply have to.


Table of Contents | Leave a Comment