Annael's Reunion by Kaylee Arafinwiel

| | |

Fanwork Notes

For the SWG challenge, "New Directions", inspired by the character biography on Annael. Thank you to Silver Trails for writing such an inspiring piece!

Fanwork Information

Summary:

After far too long, Annael of the Grey-elves reunites with one he thought lost.

Major Characters: Annael, Eärendil, Idril, Tuor

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: General

Challenges: New Directions

Rating: General

Warnings:

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 335
Posted on 7 July 2017 Updated on 7 July 2017

This fanwork is complete.

Chapter 1

I've never written Annael before, because...I'm not sure I even knew of his *existence* before. When the challenge came up and I scrolled through the biographies, I was just like...wrote that character, that one, that one...oh, wait, who's this? *scrolls back up* :D So thank you to Silver Trails for introducing me to someone new! And thanks to the Mods for such an intriguing challenge!

First person POV.

Read Chapter 1

First Age, 510, the Havens of Sirion

They come out of the mountains, spent and broken, the Gondolindhrim. The folk of Turgon, now dead, are led not by an Elf, but...

Can it be, or do my eyes deceive me? For at the head of the line, arrayed as a prince of the Gelydh, is no Elf but a Man, fair of hair and face, wearing a helm bedecked with swan-feathers. Seven feathers - the swan's wing, the birds of my folk. By his side walks the fairest of Elven maidens I have yet seen, and none would mistake her for any but Turgon's daughter. On his shoulders, he carries an - elf-child? No, not quite, for there is more of the Man about his face, and the child resembles them both. Born of the union of Man and Elf? It hardly seems possible, and yet...the child resembles a child I once knew well.

I study the Man's face intently. If the boy is his...Ah, but now he has seen me, as well, and the child holds tightly as his father breaks into a run, summoning strength from I know not where. "Adar Annael!"

"Tuor!" For he it is, and at his side Idril, Turgon's daughter. "And who is this, ion nin?" I ask him, smiling at the child.

"Have you no greeting for your daeradar, child?" Tuor asks.

"Mae govannen, Daeradar Annael," the child whispers shyly. "Im estannen..." He pauses. "Aerennel," he finally says

"We call him Eärendil," Idril finally speaks up, taking her son back in her arms and pressing a kiss to his fair, tousled hair. "It is a pleasure to meet you at last, my lord Annael. Tuor has spoken well of you to us."

"My thanks, Princess," I manage to reply before Tuor folds me in his strong arms. I return his embrace, and I weep in relief. Never had I expected to see my foster-son again this side of the Renewing...and to me, out of the death of his adopted city, he has brought hope.


Chapter End Notes

Please let me know what you think! I'd love to know your opinion of my Annael.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.