Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


I love your Dwarven/Elven interactions; you paint them so well as culturally different, but equally human. Your Dwarven warrior makes some very astute observations. I'm glad she doesn't think the decision of the Elves to avoid further warfare cowardly, but instead sensible as they don't have the technology! Also, in typing this, I realised that the title of your story applies to the shell-shocked young survivor as much as to the fallen, which is very clever. Another great piece dealing with a chapter that gets glossed over by the chronicle (and usually, by fandom too)!

Thank you! Making them culturally different but still relatable as humans is important to me, so I'm glad they seem that way to readers! My Dwarves are very sensible that way - if you don't have the right tools for the job, you should either get the right tools or leave it to someone who does have the right tools. Nobody would try to dig down into a mine with a sword, after all. :P And I'm glad you picked up on the title! This is probably the only clever title I've managed to come up with this year.