The Witnesses by Himring

| | |

Fanwork Notes

A little piece for the Ancestors challenge

Fanwork Information

Summary:

Aragorn is told about his ancestors by those who saw them with their own eyes.

Major Characters: Aragorn, Celeborn, Elrond, Galadriel, Glorfindel

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre:

Challenges: Ancestors

Rating: General

Warnings:

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 265
Posted on 4 October 2017 Updated on 4 October 2017

This fanwork is complete.

Chapter 1

Read Chapter 1

"I was there," said Celeborn to Aragorn. "I saw them step out of the shadows of the forest together, hand in hand, Thingol and Melian, when we were no longer sure we were even waiting, still. I had never seen anyone like Melian the Maia and Elu, our Elu, seemed utterly changed."

"I was there," said Galadriel to Aragorn. "I visited my brother in Nargothrond, shortly after his return from Ossiriand, and there I met Balan, who was later known as Beor, forefather of Barahir and Beren and all that House. Beor was the first of your kind I had ever seen; before that, Men had been a rumour, half disbelieved."

"I was there," said Glorfindel to Aragorn. "I stood in a high place beside King Turgon when the great eagles, at Thorondor's command, set down young Huor and his brother, having rescued them from orcs. They were weary and cold, having been carried high through the upper air. They had no inkling where they were, until we told them, but they showed no fear! Those were brave boys!"

"You were there," said Aragorn to Elrond. "You were there, in Elros's time and in Elendil's, in Valandil's and in Arathorn's. I was proud at first when you revealed my ancestry to me, and it seemed to me I had been lifted up high, but now I am cast into doubt and it seems to me I am all but overshadowed by the great ones of the past. Who am I to you, beside my ancestry? Can you even tell me apart?"

"Estel," said Elrond, "I can."


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


As you may have guessed, the weight of all these ancestors - both Elven and mortal - on the shoulders of the later line of Elros is something that I've been chewing on lately, so this fic ran in an open door with me! Wonderful reaction from Elrond (who is probably famliar with the feeling, although the list of (in)famous ancestors is a lot shorter for him). Once again, you say so much in so few words.

On one hand, it must have been intimidating to have all those greats (and not-so-greats ;)) as the ancestors. But on the other hand, it's a pity I don't have anybody who could tell me, "Oh, I was there when your great- great- great- great ... grandfather did this or that". Eh.

Lovely read, very thought-provoking. Thank you :)