A Kinslayer and A Queen by LadyBrooke

| | |

Chapter 1


“If you are smart, you will take your children and head east.”

“And why would I do that?” she asked, dropping her hands from the harp and glancing up at him. “There is no one in the east I know who would greet my arrival.”

“Because however good your disguise of your sons, they do not hide the fact that they are twins nearly as well as you need them to and your daughter speaks only of the splendors of Doriath, including its treasury.” Amras sat down. “It is not that hard to discover who they are

“I do not know what you mean.” She met his gaze and smiled. “Surely you do not believe we are the elves that have forsaken the King of Doriath?”

“I believe that only the Queen of Doriath would be brazen enough to deny such a fact to a Kinslayer in the face of such evidence,” he said.

“And if such were true, why would a Kinslayer tell a Queen to flee with her children, instead of keeping her to bargain with?” She did not glance away. “What reason would you have to warn her, son of Fëanor?”

“My brothers are driven mad by Dior’s actions, and I cannot predict what they would do if they were the Kinslayer involved,” Amras answered. “But I do not believe that Dior would bargain for you now, if he would not listen to your advice when you resided with him and asked him to give away the Silmaril for the safety of your children. And I would not see children dead or hostages when nothing can be gained from it.”

She nodded. “Perhaps it would be safer to leave no matter who we are.”

“Take two of the pack horses in the stable for your belongings,” Amras responded. “We will have less need of them after our attack, I expect.”

“You realize I could warn them there will be an attack?”

“You could, but your children would likely be killed for your attempt to warn them of something everyone knows is coming.”

“How long do we have?” Nimloth asked, standing with her harp.

“Caranthir arrives in two days. The rest follow shortly behind him, and you need to be gone before Curufin or Celegorm arrive at the latest.”

“We will be gone by the morning.” She paused. “I wish I could hope for your safe return from battle.”

“I wish you could as well.” Amras smiled. “I hope for your safe journey to the east.”

Nimloth bowed her head before leaving.


Table of Contents | Leave a Comment