Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


This is a really fascinating take on reembodiment - I love that Turgon thought he'd figured it all out, considered himself "cured", and then realised that things weren't as clear-cut as that. Above all, I love how sensible Elenwe is: There is no cure - there is nothing to cure, actually - just the need to figure out how to live with the imperfections.

 

Thank you very much!

I tend to be a bit cautious or sceptical about a stay in the Halls curing elves completely of everything, anyway--especially when I am myself engaging with the thoughts of re-embodied elves in writing (that possibly just shows the limits of my imagination!). I am not sure that there is nothing to cure at all, for Turgon, but he is certainly over-simplifying and is in danger of trying too hard to fix the wrong problem. 

Turgon seems to me to be wavering in canon between a slightly too-rigid orthodoxy and other impulses that are much less orthodox and that he doesn't fully acknowledge.

I am glad you like sensible Elenwe!