Tenn' Ambar-metta by Almare

| | |

Fanwork Notes

This is the first piece of creative writing I've done in ~7 years. I will inevivably be very slow at continuing this, but I do have a couple of other scenes planned and in progress so we'll see.

Fanwork Information

Summary:

AU in which the Ainur are a powerful magically/technologically advanced species and Ilúvatar was an invention to aid them in controlling the elves. Nothing that happened before the Awakening is necessarily true.

Major Characters: Elwing, Eärendil

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Alternate Universe

Challenges:

Rating: Teens

Warnings: Suicide

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 469
Posted on 27 May 2013 Updated on 27 May 2013

This fanwork is a work in progress.

Chapter 1

Read Chapter 1

She sat on the floor and lent against the window sill, arms crossed under her head. She looked out over the world. Waiting. Another year had passed and soon her only reprise from the accursed tower would be here. Why they allowed them to meet had confused her for a long while. It came to her eventually of course. It was simple. To keep us feeling. To keep us remembering. A thousand times and more she had tried to escape this place. A thousand times and more she had thrown herself from the window only to awaken again in the tower. The first few times she had screamed. After that there didn’t seem much point. She couldn’t escape by dying. The seabirds that had once saved her were now her guards. Always was one or more perched in the tower rafters; watching and reporting her attempts.

The fine metal chains that bound his arms and legs to the swan-ship’s mast bit into his skin and the unfailing light from the damned jewel imbedded in his brow burned his eyes.  The ship lurched as it began its decent. Another year passed. The bitter thought clawed his mind. Ahead he could just make out the shape of the tower that was her cage.

The light approached and began to descend.  The shape of a ship gradually became resolved from the point of brightness. The swan form reached its near point and she let herself be taken by her bird form, launching herself upwards. A swarm of gulls followed her.

She reached the deck and landed, and retaking her native form, ran to her husband. His bonds slackened and he slumped to the deck as she reached him. She sank to her knees beside him, and moving to embrace him, held him close, burying her face in his neck. Thus they sat for hours, holding each other without speaking, silent tears running down their faces.

The ship began to move once more, and his bonds tightened, pulling him to standing. The birds that had been watching on the railings and in the rigging began to move closer, encircling her as she stepped back. For the only time that day, they made eye contact and spoke the only words they had allowed each other in uncounted years: “Melinyet. Namárië.” his whisper and “Gi melin. Novaer.” her reply.

The birds seized her, dragging her away, back to the tower. They dumped her ungracefully in centre of the room and all but one took off back out the window. She turned back to watch the ship glide away, ascending into the sky for another year.

We fought the wrong war. The memory of the words echoed in her mind again. They were the enemy all along. They are the enemy. We fought the wrong war. And again as every year, she collapsed to the ground and wept.


Chapter End Notes

Eärendil says “I love you. Farewell.” in Quenya, his native language, and Elwing says the same in Sindarin, which is hers.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


Sadly, I have always imagined it could have gone exactly like this. The horror of it! Anyway, really, really like this. I hope you do continue it. Very nicely expressed.

And, congrats, for writing and sharing it. It takes courage to take up writing fiction again if one has not done it for while.

Congratulations on breaking your hiatus from creative writing with such a deliciously creepy little piece!  Very effective imagery as well as delving into each character's experience of bondage.  The closing paragraph is pitch perfect.

I'm thrilled with your concept, i.e., the Valar as a technologically advanced species (recall Clarke's Third Law) who are not, uh, necessarily benign.  There are a few of us out there, including myself, who have taken similar, but not identical, approaches.  Anyway, I'm keenly interested to see where you go with it.  This prologue has certainly piqued my interest!

As an aside, I highly recommend Dawn's Hastaina.