Forging Arda: in the Beginning by MisbehavingMaiar

| | |

Fanwork Notes

Forging Arda— Rivka Nipper 2013

Once upon a time (last winter during the holidays) I sat down to re-read the Silmarillion, and that night I had a dream about the origins of Sauron/Mairon the Maiar, and his time spent in the service of Aulë the Smith. I decided to work some of that dream material into a comic. 

I finished the first draft of these pages a month ago, but then I decided that the pages needed to be retouched and re-lettered before I posted them all together (I was learning and making things up as I went along, and the difference in style from the beginning of the comic to the end was pretty severe). 

So here, at last, are the finalized pages, hand-lettered, in all their painstaking, flawed, and glorious detail. It’s been a hell of a ride! Now all I have to do is tell the rest of the story…. *wobble*. 

 Enjoy!  

Fanwork Information

Summary:

Mairon, maia of Aulë, is given a body, a purpose, his tools, and a warning.

Major Characters: Ainur, Aulë, Melkor, Sauron

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Comic Strip

Challenges:

Rating: General

Warnings:

This fanwork belongs to the series

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 1, 986
Posted on 31 March 2014 Updated on 31 March 2014

This fanwork is a work in progress.

Chapter 1

Read Chapter 1

 

 


Chapter End Notes

Update Feb 2014:  If you look carefully you’ll notice I’ve made some edits for character continuity, typo-correction, and awful-inexcusible-messy-word-bubble surgery. I also took out the tengwar inscription on the forge because it had no business being there in the first place. 


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


*Repeating the review because I'm not sure why the heck it is showing up only with the series, rather than the story.  At any rate...*

YAAAAAAAAAY!!!!  You've posted here.  FINALLY. And wow, what an entrance!  You know I love this:  you have such a distinctive style and such skill with light, color, shadow, and form.  I love the leonine look of Aulë, Mairon's wide-eyed innocence, and that shifting fiery creature arising from might...

And now I understand the note in my Tumblr ask box. Yes.  Yes, you have joined a guild. :^)

Welcome, Wesley!