The Making of the Second Elessar by Elwin Fortuna

| | |

Fanwork Notes

Posted as part of the Silmarillion40 event.

Fanwork Information

Summary:

Celebrimbor makes the famed Elfstone.

Major Characters: Celebrimbor

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre:

Challenges:

Rating: General

Warnings:

This fanwork belongs to the series

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 271
Posted on 14 September 2017 Updated on 14 September 2017

This fanwork is complete.

Chapter 1

Read Chapter 1

He recalled, as a very young child, sitting on a high stool in his grandfather's workshop, watching keenly as Fëanáro fashioned a green gemstone under the light of Laurelin and spoke words to imbue it with the virtue of healing, before placing it in a setting of silver leaves.

It was easy to remember, but not so easy to reproduce. Some of the materials Fëanáro used could not be found East of the Sea, and Celebrimbor sought for substitutes among his stores, weighing up the benefits of one kind of arcane powder over another.

Decisions at last had to be made. Celebrimbor chose carefully, ladling out small amounts of various mysterious compounds, then mixing them over heat to form the gel that would eventually harden into the gem. As he stirred, he whispered words of preserving, keeping, healing, that trees and flowers would not wither.

His words spilled into the Elessar stone as it formed beneath his hands, and it shone forth, as bright as the one in his memories. The light of the sun shone down into the jewel. Laurelin's last fruit blazed with beauty as he placed the gem into its setting: a silver eagle with outspread wings.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.