Three Sentence Fics: Tolkien by Zdenka

| | |

Chapter 3


Anonymous prompt: Any, any, do not weep, maiden, for war is kind

Huor is fiercely glad when he learns they are to take the war to the Enemy at last, but he finds Rían in tears beside a patch of her favorite flowers.

"Will Morgoth take everything?" she murmurs as he kneels down beside her; to his surprise, she catches his shoulders in a tight, desperate grip and leans her head against him.

"Whatever happens," he promises recklessly, "I will hold one bit of green land for you," and he is rewarded when she smiles through her tears.



Anonymous prompt: Any, any, "dark they were, and golden eyed"

Beren spends his days in peace with Lúthien on the green isle, and he can imagine no greater bliss. Even so, he has dreams from which he wakes shuddering: bound and helpless in the dark, while a snarling shadow-shape with golden eyes moves inexorably closer to his father, or Finrod, or Lúthien herself. If Lúthien is awake, she sings to him, and her enchantment dispels all fear; if she sleeps, he buries his face in her hair and breathes in its scent until his heartbeat slows again, until his foolish dazed mind can believe that they are here and together and safe.



Anonymous prompt: Any, any, I am the master of my fate, I am the captain of my soul.

Túrin, Master of Denial

Turambar, master of fate, he calls himself, and he hopes finally to shake off his family's curse. The Men of Brethil honor him, and many of them are eager to follow him in battle. He is master of himself as well; at times he remembers the gleam of the dragon's eyes, but he does not let it daunt him.



Anonymous prompt: Any, any, the wind is rising

A Wind of Power in Tarmenel

Elwing sings softly as she binds the Silmaril on his brow, her deft fingers twining the Nauglamír's gold chains into his hair; her eyes shine very brightly in the Silmaril's light. Eärendil cannot help doubting; so many times he has tried to seek the West, and always he has been driven back.

But this time a new wind comes, that prickles against Eärendil's face like frost and lightning; the sails fill, and they are flying West.



Prompt from lizzie_marie_23: any, any, If you call your dad you can stop it all

"This is beyond us," Manwë said heavily, "we have not the authority." He looked around the Ring of Doom; one by one, the Valar assented. They called on Eru Ilúvatar, and felt the shape of the World change . . .



Anonymous prompt: Any, any, "If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need."
(filled as The Lord of the Rings, Éowyn/Faramir)

She does not give up the sword completely, nor does he; but there is warm earth on her fingers now to go with the sword-callouses. She has a garden, fragrant with thyme (and simbelmynë too, for remembrance); he has a rich store of books, including some sent by Elrond of Rivendell before he departed Middle-earth. Little by little, Ithilien grows green again.


Table of Contents | Leave a Comment