The Table of Fingolfin by hennethgalad

Fanwork Information

Summary:

Turgon confesses manipulating people.

Major Characters: Fingolfin, Finrod Felagund, Galadriel, Glorfindel, Idril, Turgon

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Drama, Romance

Challenges:

Rating: General

Warnings:

This fanwork belongs to the series

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 2, 373
Posted on 30 November 2016 Updated on 30 November 2016

This fanwork is complete.

Chapter 1

Read Chapter 1

The Table of Fingolfin.-

 

    Finrod heaved a sigh and squeezed Glorfindel's hand. Glorfindel grinned at him and rubbed his thumb on the back of Finrod's hand. The aides swept back the curtains and they entered the large white pavillion, full of the rest of Finrod's extensive family.

   Fingolfin rose and around him the others followed suit. Finrod realized that the Light within himself and Glorfindel was casting shadows in the shade of the pavillion, and people were gazing at them in wonder.

   He smiled and bowed slightly, then led Glorfindel to Fingolfin. Fingolfin stepped forward and gestured to the empty couch on his left, then embraced Glorfindel and said 'Welcome to the House of Finwë, I know that I speak for all of us when I say that we are proud to have the famous Glorfindel join us. Welcome !'

   There was enthusiastic cheering from the richly-clad elves, but Finrod gritted his teeth; it seemed Fingolfin must have chosen those very words to inflict the maximum injury to Glorfindel, and to undo all the work of reassurance that he himself had been doing. Glorfindel's jaw was clenched, but he smiled warmly at Fingolfin and said 'It is I who am proud to have been chosen by the fairest flower from such a mighty tree.' 

   They sat, and were served with fine red wine and a platter of jewel-bright delicacies, then Fingolfin turned to Glorfindel and said

  'But tell me, kinsman, how can it be that you did not know Finrod, nor he you, when you met this morning ? Were you still under the sway of the wine?'

  Glorfindel smiled and shook his head 'That cold bathe would clear the mind of whole barrels worth of wine! Nay, sire, for in truth I am at a loss, all those here ' he gestured gracefully around the circle of couches 'Are well known to me, save my beloved Finrod. As to how this has come to be, I truly cannot say.'

  Fingolfin frowned and looked at Finrod, who shrugged and said 'My lord, I am mystified myself. I know 'of' Glorfindel, but I have never met him until today, I do not see how, or why, this has happened.' 

   On Fingolfin's right, Turgon stood up. He was blushing, and cleared his throat. 'I, ah, it was I. ' he paused, every eye was upon him, in astonishment. Glorfindel's stared at him, his eyes cold and narrow, his lips pressed together. Turgon shifted nervously; Glorfindel was the best fighter in the armies of the Noldor, which meant, effectively, in Middle-Earth. If Glorfindel wanted Turgon dead, he could kill him before Turgon could draw a dagger to defend himself.

  He took his courage in his clenched fists 'I wanted Glorfindel to marry Idril. I wanted his bloodline to join with ours.'

   Idril's silvery laugh filled the air 'Oh father, you are such a fool, Glorfindel's tastes do not favour the gifts that I could offer him!'

  Glorfindel, who had always been fond of Idril, smiled at her, but held Finrod firmly by the hand.

  But Finrod was staring at Turgon, saying in a low, dangerous voice 'What have you done, Turgon?'

   Turgon bowed his head 'I kept you apart. I made sure Glorfindel was sent away when Finrod would be there. For more than two centuries.'

   Finrod frowned 'But why ? I mean, how were you able to foresee that we would fall in love?'

   Turgon blushed and bowed his head 'I foresaw nothing. I actually saw you fall in love. It was outside the House of Fingolfin in Tirion, I was with Glorfindel, and you entered the square from the other side, and you were laughing, striding along without a care in the world. Glorfindel gripped my arm and said....'

  But Glorfindel had stood up, fists clenched 'Who is THAT !' he said, and Turgon stepped back, and fell backwards onto his couch.

  Glorfindel stood over him, watching him cringe, in silence.

  Turgon finally said quietly 'And then I said "that is Finrod, eldest son of Finarfin, of the House of Finwë" as if to say 'you are not good enough for him'. And you bowed and went away. Then Finrod...' He looked at Finrod, whose eyes were full of tears and said 'Oh, I am so very sorry, I... How could I know...' 

   But now Finrod was standing beside Glorfindel, holding his hand (holding him back, hoped Turgon) and looking coldly at him 'You could have known because moments after he asked you about me, I asked you about him. And what did you say to me ?'

   Turgon bowed his head 'I told you he was just a soldier.'

  Glorfindel had forgotten Turgon 'You asked him about me ? You remember that day ? He did not even tell you my name ? The Light was there !'

  Finrod nodded 'I followed you here, across the ice, though I did not know it. The Light went on ahead, and when my father turned back, I knew I had to follow the Light... And here you are !'

   They kissed then, and those nearest shielded their eyes. Turgon turned to leave but Fingolfin stopped him with a gesture.

   Finally Glorfindel sat down, and pulled the laughing Finrod onto his lap, threw both arms around him and clung to him like a drowning elf.

   Turgon apologized again but Finrod waved a hand dismissively 'Turgon, please sit down, think on it no further. We have met. ' he smiled remotely and added 'It may be that you have helped us, for it is certain that I would have made life even more difficult for Glorfindel if we had met in any other way. ' he looked at Glorfindel 'Do you really know everyone here except me ?'

  Glorfindel looked, smiling, around the room; next to Turgon, his daughter Idril and his brither Fingon; beside them the sons of Fëanor, and on the other side Galadriel and the brothers of Finrod. He nodded 'All but you, my love' 

 

 

 

 


Chapter End Notes

more Laurëlot


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


Very romantic! Finrod following Glorfindel across the Ice although they did not even know each other!

 

[Glad you've inserted a few more line breaks and paragraphs here--I know it's such a minor thing, really, but the problems with the formatting made some of your previous posts really difficult to read...]