The End of All Things by Tyelca

| | |

Fanwork Notes

Written for the Taboo challenge; prompts used: Ostracization and ExileBad Language and Found Out. This takes place sometime before the events of the Quest of the Silmarils.

The general question behind this fic has been bothering me for awhile: what happens to Orcs when they die? We know that the Eldar goe to the Halls of Mandos, the Humans pass beyond the circle of this world and the Dwarves return to Mahal. But what about Orcs? Is there a special place they go, or do they simply cease to exist?

Fanwork Information

Summary:

An Orc dies; what happens when he wakes up again in the Halls of Mandos and is forced to remember that he too belonged to the race of the Eldar?

Major Characters: Mandos, Melkor, Orcs, Original Male Character(s), Sauron

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Drama, Horror

Challenges: Taboo

Rating: General

Warnings: Torture

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 1, 001
Posted on 6 February 2017 Updated on 6 February 2017

This fanwork is complete.

Chapter 1

Read Chapter 1

The silence was the first thing that he noticed. It was never silent; large fires roared day and night, shouts echoed down the hallways and the incessant chatter, brawling, screaming and cursing never stopped. But it had stopped now. A short while he wondered whether his ears were chopped off, but the lack of pain told him it was not so. The lack of pain was also unusual; skin took a notoriously long time to heal if it was cracked open again and again, until scar upon scar had eliminated any plasticity that was left. But now he did not feel it, and it worried him as much as it offered relief.

Where was he? What had happened to him?

He still heard nothing, and he concluded he was alone. Well, he could deal with that, he decided, and opened his eyes. He was in a dark room, but that was all he could say regarding familiarity. The ceiling was high and arched and there was a thin window just under the roof. A single ray of sunlight entered, and he closed his eyes against the brightness. He sat upright, using his hands to push him up, and felt that the grating leather he wore as well as the heavy metal armor were both gone. Instead he was clothed in a soft brown garment.

“Welcome,” a measured voice said. He spun around, alarmed by the sudden appearance when he thought he was alone. In a doorway he hadn’t seen before was a tall figure, clothed in flowing black robes that descended to the ground. “Who are you?” he asked suspiciously. His sword was gone, as well as the knife that he always wore hidden in his boot. He was defenseless, and this creature radiated power. It triggered memories in him, memories he knew he had suppressed a long time ago. There was a gap in his knowledge and he was quite happy to leave it there. He mentally debated turning his back on the figure, but his sense of self-preservation won out. He did back away, though.

“I am Námo,” the figure said, “Lord of these Halls. You are welcome to stay as long as you need.”

“I don’t need anything from you,” he spat out. He would have added some choice swearwords, but it seemed unwise to agitate this creature unnecessarily. Námo did not react, opting instead to study him, and it made him feel uncomfortable. Just as he was about to tell Námo off, the robes swished around and Námo strode away.

He was glad Námo was gone, but the visit had loosened something in him. He was certain he had never met Námo in his life, but the figure had been familiar. Or rather, the aura Námo exuded had been familiar. Dark shapes flashed before his mind’s eye, illuminated with the uneven flicker of hungry flames.

He shook the images away, uncomfortable in their wake. He needed something to focus on, something to occupy his mind. The doorway through which Námo had disappeared was still there, and he decided leave the bare room. The hall he entered was not different from where he just came from; high arches with small windows and closed doors stretched out before him. He wanted to check the other rooms, in search for his missing weaponry, but something told him not to disturb them. So he moved forward, trying to recall last night to find out where he was and what had happened. Meat was rotating above the cooking fire and there was grog to drink. He remembered throwing back mug after mug, and after a while his memory faded out. Not that that was uncommon; there was a serious betting pool going on concerning volumes of consumed alcohol versus experience. He’d never earned more than he’d lost.

But nothing had happened that was unusual, nothing to warrant these circumstances. Whatever these circumstances were. Once again he saw a figure outlined in black, radiating the same kind of power as Námo but more intense, much more intense. The Big Boss, he recognized from the few times the Big Boss had deigned to address his soldiers directly. But he had never been in close proximity to the Big Boss; he’d never even so much as set a foot in the Captain’s office.

The hall continued on and on, and it occurred to him that with the exception of Námo he hadn’t seen a single living soul yet. “It is indeed quiet in here,” Námo said as he suddenly moved next to him. “Not many have found their way to these Halls yet. But they will,” he said with a tragic note in his voice. “Where did you come from?” he questioned. Námo glanced sideways to look at him. “The question is not where I came from,” he replied slowly. “But rather: where did you once come from?” Námo then again performed his disappearance act and left him alone to ponder the question, inevitably bringing back the flashes of memory he did not want but which Námo for some reason triggered.

He saw dungeons, similar to those of the Iron Fortress but not the same. He recognized them as torture chambers, where he had spent a considerable amount of time as assistant to the master of the dungeon. The rack, the whip, and more tools he identified easily, but there were a few that he’d never seen before. He had liked his work in the dungeons; most often it was boring, their only victims other Orcs who were caught doing something they shouldn’t have. But once in a while the troops brought in one of the Tall Ones, and those were always fun. They got to go all-out with them, as it was much harder to break them, but that was part of the game. Keep them whole as long as possible, watch as the tiny cracks slowly spread and sit back when the thing collapsed under itself. It was beautiful.

The arrival of a Tall One was always a reason to celebrate, but most did not experience the intense joy he did. For them it was just entertainment, destroying an enemy bit by bit and piece by piece; they saved their spirit and their fight for after the end of the shift. He did not; there was nothing more satisfactory than watching a beautiful face get mauled, like a broken glass that could never be rebuilt in quite the same way again. It always lost some if its shine, of its luster, and sometimes the pieces did not fit together and created a ragged edge. He hated them, the Tall Ones with their bright faces. Hated them with a passion. Never did he realize how easily he could look them in the eye, or how broken his own visage was.

Lost in these thoughts, he finally came to the end of the hallway. An enormous decorated arch opened up onto a square of some sort. He couldn’t see the other side, but he did see that countless other hallways emerged on this central place.

“Beautiful, isn’t it?” Námo questioned. He looked around. Everywhere was the same smooth brown rock, and the floor was made of the same substance. “No,” he responded rudely, but offered no explanation. Námo did not seem to mind, though, and the non-hostile predisposition made him uncertain, for he knew not what to expect from this creature.

“Follow me,” Námo said, and he obeyed, for what else could he do? He still longed for his trusted sword, but as it was not available he had to settle for following Námo’s orders. They walked onto the square and the space around them seemed to widen even more; when he looked over his shoulder, the hall from which he’d emerged was nothing more than a speck in the distance. “Where are we going?” he demanded, and at once Námo stopped moving. “Ah,” he said, “that is a very good question. Tell me; where do you want to go?”

“Back,” he responded. Námo raised a single thin eyebrow. “Back where?”

He wanted to say ‘home’, describe the fires that always blazed, the fights, the noises, the curses, but something stopped him. Námo waited patiently. Once again he saw the dungeon before his eyes, with the Big Boss waiting patiently until the screams died down. His face was beautiful in a terrifying way, and he did not want to break it or put it back together. When the silence descended again he saw the Big Boss move around, and in his shadow he suddenly saw the Lieutenant. The Lieutenant said something to the Big Boss, and both laughed amiably. The Lieutenant walked forward toward the project they were together working on, and he turned with them. A Tall One lay writhing on the working table, all limbs still attached and all cuts were superficial. A curtain of black hair hung over the edge of the table and with a soft caress of his finger the Lieutenant set it on fire. The Tall One screamed again, and kept emitting horrible noises as the scent of burning flesh entered his nostrils. He had often smelled it, but this time it made him uneasy in the pit of his stomach, and he used a piece of cloth he ripped off his brown garment to protect his nose. The Lieutenant took a deep whiff and also the Big Boss seemed to savor the smell. A comment by the Big Boss and the Lieutenant moved away to put something down in a book that lay open on a standard. Slowly he followed the Lieutenant and neared the book, not wanting to see what was on those pages but needing to know nonetheless.

He opened his eyes and Námo was still standing there, waiting for him to answer. The empty openness of the square suddenly closed in on him and he sank to his knees. Námo knelt too and put a cool hand on his cheek. “Do you remember, child?” he asked, and for the first time his voice was soft and gentle.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


OMG! You killed me with this one. I think that is one plausible account of how it could have happened. [Just for my own sanity--fragile creature that I am--I prefer not to think that orcs constructed out of ruined Elves--oh, ouch!] If they were, however, and, for the sake of this story, I am willing to suspend disbelief and assume they are, this is a very powerful account of an orc ending up in the Halls of Mandos.

Well done. A more likeable Namo than many I have read also. Frankly, he scares the shit out of me in right kind of way. And do not like to think of him as a warm and fuzzy kind of creature, that would not fit with the Doomsman of the Valar either, but he works in this story for this poor tragic orc. Not warm and cuddly but perhaps offering some kind of way back. I like that it is not clear either. Thanks for sharing!

Thank you so much for your kind review! Haha, the entire Silmarillion is one tragic clusterf*ck, so for me the creation of the Orcs is just added to the pile of hurt and pain and drama.

In my head(canon), Námo and his Maiar help to get the dead come to terms with their life, so that they can let go and move on, which is symbolized by being released from the Halls. I tried to write him that way; I am glad it came across! One thing to mention here is that for Námo, this is also one of the first times he has to guide a (broken) fëa back to itself, and for him it is too a process of trial and error; in the end, the fëa has to forgive itself, and Námo cannot help with that. So he prefers to remain in the background, so to speak, offering advice but not becoming 'personally' involved.

I think it is also important to note that the Orc in question is not aware that he is dead. Add to that that he has no idea regarding Ainur (he was taken before Oromë discovered the Eldar at Cuiviénen), and you get a confusing mess indeed. But this is just my interpretation; it is unclear so that everyone can have their own. I think it would have 'destroyed' the story if I'd given it a concrete ending.

In response to your response to my comment (that's a tongue twister):

When you said

In my head(canon), Námo and his Maiar help to get the dead come to terms with their life, so that they can let go and move on, which is symbolized by being released from the Halls.

I find that a powerful interpretation, much more tolerable than the punishment/purgatory conception which leapt to mind when I first read Tolkien on Elves serving time in the Halls of Mandos! (or there was a very popular writer of Namo, who wrote him as a kindly warden (unlikely!) of a Victorian orphanage/reform school--an interpretation which never worked for me at all) I tend to find the Valar not a lot more flawless than the Elves themselves, simply more remote from the incidents which might provoke or entice them. Obviously, when they fall they fall harder and do more damage (reminiscent of Paradise Lost). Even the oft-judge-as-wicked Noldor are fairly tame compared to Melkor or Sauron. So the Valar judging and dispensing justice over the Firstborn feels sort of like having a Supreme Court of Aliens interpreting right and wrong for a very human world.

Nevermind me, I am just blowing off. I did find your story provocative in a positive way and it made me consider this questions again.

 

I never interpreted a stay in Mandos as a punishment, for what about the Elves who, for instance, died fighting for the Last Alliance against Sauron? Their only fault was getting killed in battle; not something that warrants ages of imprisonment. I know a writer who writes Námo as all cuddly and concerned, which I don't mind reading, but that is towards his Maiar and not the Eldar in his care.

I absolutely agree with you that the Valar are not flawless - who ever thought locking Melkor up for three ages straight with no contact except Námo was a good idea? Even the strongest and good men would succumb to madness. They are, in some way, unable to look past what they themselved would do/would have done, and judge according to their own standards; the alien-metaphor is scarily accurate, as the Valar are an essentially different species. Thank you, and I don't mind the rambling; I love to hear what others think about these kind of issues!

I have read Paradise Lost and loved it; I even started rewriting The Silmarillion in that style (the rhyme and rhythm is based purely on what sounds right in my head; I have no idea how to incorporete different meters), but so far only have an introduction; I need to reread the book and line by line in order to contruct the poem.

What a chilling tale. Of course, if we accept the premise that Orcs were once Elves, it makes sense that the spirits of Orcs would receive the summons to Mandos also, and some would even follow it. Naturally, that brings all sorts of issues with it, and you tackle them very neatly: Would the Orc even understand where he is? (Apparently not!) How would the process of remembering their origins work? And is there any way for them to achieve some sense of redemption or at least closure? (You leave that open - fortunately - it would probably take a far longer story to explore that thought!) I like the way in which you let Námo operate here, and the thought processes of the Orc, albeit nasty, were really rather heartbreaking. Lots of food for thought here!

Thank you! I do not dare answer those questions - and even if I did, I wouldn't know where to start! This is just an idea that needed to be written down, my interpretation of Mandos' purpose: helping those in his Halls find peace. To be honest, this entire fic was very experimental for me, and I am glad you liked it and that it was able to draw out such a response!

This was interesting and thought-provoking. Thinking about the implications of Orcs being made from Elves gets very disturbing very quickly, but it's also a very good question what happens to them after death, and if they have any chance of being un-Orcified in all the time before the ending of the world (and if any of them would be able or willing to try). But surely the Valar would have to make some decision about them . . .

Un-Orcified... I like that word! It is my personal head-canon that Orcs are in fact immortal, just like the Eldar, but due to so much (internal) fighting only a few survive to great ages. The Vala indeed have to decide what to do with them - but I think that they'll choose the road of redemption, as they first tried with Melkor and later offered to Sauron (Eönwë did, right?). The only question is what the Orcs themselves think of it, but I remember I read somewhere that they hate all that is good and beautiful because they can't have it themselves anymore. I thought that was an interesting view to explore, that maybe they do still have that spark of Eldar inside, and what that might mean when they arrive in Mandos.