Ten Counts by Ulan

| | |

Galadriel and Celeborn


Landscape
The first time Galadriel saw Celeborn, she mistook him for a Maia like Melian; his hair shone moonlit-silver, his brows were set with wisdom, and the trees seemed to bow down to his stillness.

Loner
She noticed that Celeborn stood apart from others, but unlike Galadriel, who did so out of pride and what she thought was acceptance for being different, Celeborn did so because it suited him, and because he was simply content in the peace of his own mind.

Beautiful
Celeborn would just as often compliment Galadriel for being "beautiful" as she was "strong and skillful", which was uncanny, as people had thus far seemed divided between seeing her as only one of each thing.

Massacre
Galadriel never spoke to anyone about the things she witnessed in Alqualondë, which was why she was surprised when she found herself pouring the horrors of it all to Celeborn's patient ears, especially considering that he did not even ask.

Power
Many Elves looked up to Celeborn as a lord in Doriath because he was constant and steadfast, but he did not seem to desire more power for himself; Galadriel, who marched after Fëanor precisely for power, struggled at first to understand this.

Obey
Brother Finrod laughed the first time he saw his "stubborn Artanis" finally obey another Elf; Galadriel scoffed at him, and said that it was easy to do what Celeborn bade because Celeborn's suggestions just always made sense.

Dry
Galadriel was not one to laugh often, but Celeborn's subtle humour and dry observations seldom failed to at least make her grin behind her hand (for diplomatic reasons) or huff out a sound of amusement.

Evolution
Celeborn taught Galadriel many things: humility, the importance of patience, the wisdom to be found in stillness, the value of silence, the ability to laugh at serious things, and the realisation that even the most stubborn hearts can still thaw and fall in love.

Promise
After a lifetime of being told that her ambition and her interests were unbecoming of a lady, Celeborn's marriage vow to her that he loved and would keep loving her "for all that you are now and for all that you still want to be" served as Galadriel's reminder as to why Celeborn was the one.

Child
For all her pride and desire to leave a legacy, when she saw and felt that her beautiful daughter would take after her father more than her mother, Galadriel nonetheless felt joy and contentment the likes of which she had never known.


Chapter End Notes

I love the idea of Celeborn and Galadriel. I love that Galadriel was known to be the greater of the two, coupled by signs that theirs was a strong union. I think Celeborn became one of my favourite characters precisely because of this. :)


Table of Contents | Leave a Comment