Ten Counts by Ulan

| | |

Maedhros and Fingon


Rivals
They started off as rivals - the eldest sons of Miriel's and Indis' sons - but it was difficult to hate Findekáno when the other kept conceding that Maitimo was the better craftsman, the better sportsman, the better son, and the most beautiful one.

Upset
The first time Findekáno was angry with him, he nevertheless ran to Maitimo and viciously buried his face on Maitimo's neck, for little Findekáno did not seem to know an alternative way of dealing with things that upset him.

Peacock
"I am trying to get your attention, of course," was Findekáno's laughing reply when Maitimo asked him why he suddenly decided to wear gold ribbons in his hair.

Dispose
He always stood beside Father at the front of the line, except when Father told them to burn the ships and forget the others; at that point, he lingered even as the others began the march again, and wondered if Findekáno would ever forgive him.

Fair
Fingon had always called him "the fairest", and Maedhros' threats, them growing up, family feuds, and even the nightmares and disfigurement brought by those years in Thangorodrim, surprisingly and beyond reason, have done little to change that opinion.

Kin
Maedhros once thought that one cannot be closer to another than to be kin, and while Fingon was that to begin with, the impertinent brat also managed to prove that he could still be something more.

Hierarchy
Maedhros seldom joked - playfulness, after all, was Fingon's field - but it was worth it this time to shock and laugh away the look of uncertainty and loss from their newly crowned king's face by saying, "I have long thought that I would someday be on my knees in front of you, but this is not quite what I had in mind."

Gallop
When they rode out like this, just the two of them, it was easy to forget the war and the call of the Oath, for not even the Silmarils shone to him as brightly as the light in Fingon's eyes.

Wife
Maedhros had been called many names in Beleriand, but he was not quite sure if he should be amused or offended the first time Maglor called him "the High King's wife".

Elope
Some days, when the winters were harsh and Himring felt too far from everything else, Maedhros would dream of riding to Hithlum, of taking Fingon and building a house somewhere in the deep woods and just staying there with him until it all ends.


Table of Contents | Leave a Comment