Echo of the Music by janeways

Fanwork Information

Summary:

"It is said by the Eldar that in water there lives yet the echo of the Music of the Ainur more than in any substance that is in this Earth; and many of the Children of Ilúvatar hearken still unsated to the voices of the Sea, and yet know not for what they listen."

Finrod writes of love and nightingales (until all he can hear is the sound of water flowing).

Major Characters: Aegnor, Amarië, Andreth, Finrod Felagund

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Het, Romance

Challenges:

Rating: General

Warnings:

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 230
Posted on 20 October 2018 Updated on 20 October 2018

This fanwork is complete.

Echo of the Music

Read Echo of the Music

He writes of nightingales under the glimmering light of Telperion, of nightingales and true love. How her voice is like song; her touch, as light and graceful as the flutter of feathers. His brothers tease him for being overwrought, and his sister is too young yet to understand. His cousin of the golden voice only smiles encouragingly.

She does not come with him, and on the ice, songs of nightingales haunt his dreams.

In this new land, there are still nightingales, and he is grateful for this, their melodies like a promise. He still writes of her, but as the years pass, the memories slip through his fingers, leaving only echoes in their wake. He listens, hoping for some sign of her, but hears only nightingales, their song keening in the night.

And then he meets his brother’s not-yet-never-can-be wife, and all the song in his heart stills. He hears only the rippling of water, the sound that woke his grandfather on the shores of Cuiviénen. The sound that calls him home. The wisdom of her heart is deep as the Aeluin, and she is steady as the waves that beat upon its shores.  When he picks up his pen now it is to write of her, that her words will flow down the ages, tumbling over the years.

She dies. His brother dies. He writes no more of nightingales.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


This is so beautiful, Janeways!

Poor, dear Finrod. Leaving Amarie behind, is a loss of sorts.But his brother appears to have it worse.

Aegnor and Andreth, my favorite couple, so much love and sadness.

I've just thought. Have you read "For him I cry" by Elithien. It's listed as the first story in the Library of Tirion (SWG) OMG! I cried while eating a whole bar of chocolate. Such a beautiful story.