Burn by Lferion

| | |

Fanwork Notes

Thanks go to Zana, Morgynleri & Runa for encouragement & sanity-checking.

Quote: "It was a pleasure to burn." ~ Ray Bradbury, Fahrenheit 451f

Fanwork Information

Summary:

Two drabbles on burns hot and cold, pleasurable and productive.

Major Characters: Fingon

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Fixed-Length Ficlet

Challenges: Start to Finish

Rating: General

Warnings:

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 200
Posted on 3 November 2019 Updated on 3 November 2019

This fanwork is complete.

Burn

Read Burn

It was a pleasure to burn, after being so cold for so long. Of course, cold burned as well, ice leaving blackened skin burning and numb as any fire-blister, and that was a sensation that Findekáno would not soon forget. But to turn one's face to this new, bright, warm light, to feel its beams hot on eyelids and cheeks and lips, heat reaching as deep as had the Ice, thawing things long lain frozen. Giving light and life back to some very dark places indeed. Warming more than bodies. But this Light would have its own dangers also.

It was a pleasure to burn in other ways as well: to feel the heat of intimate desire as an ember, a flame in one’s belly, heart, parts, flushed and eager. The itch and prickle in one’s fingers, palms, wrists to Make, for the art and joy of it, not merely Need. To stoke the forge-fire, the cook- and hearth-fire for joy, gladness in the doing, the working, the serving forth and the being together that was more than just survival. To burn with the fury of battle with the Enemy himself, and not the fraught struggle against his ancient work.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.