March 2020 instadrabbles! by RaisingCaiin

| | |

nonsensical, weeds, thought, house

for the prompt "nonsensical, weeds, thought, house"

Maedhros & Fingon in Aman


Watching Findekáno work, knelt in the dirt pulling weeds like the farmhand or gardener that he has certainly never been before, Maedhros is struck with a nonsensical thought.

It is over.

He can hardly even articulate what "it" might be. The wars in Beleriand that had killed them both? The anguish, the fear, that Findekáno would turn away from him when he learned that Maedhros had chosen the fire he had perished by? The turmoil over who should hold the kingship of the Noldor now returned to Aman?

He is brought back to himself with a start when Findekáno makes a noise of triumph as he manages to uproot a particularly stubborn shoot, brandishing the frilly leaf with a shout and a grin. The sight of him like this, well and content once more, causes a pleasant ache in Maedhros's chest.

And perhaps it is true that all of these trials are over, but – their arrival here is still something he will cherish, fiercely and fully, for many years to come.

They live together in a house that they have built, coaxing their food from the lands and the forests around them, and neither of them ever need lead a charge or kill an enemy ever again.

It is over, and they have come home.


Table of Contents | Leave a Comment