Here, Where We Are by Lferion

| | |

Fanwork Notes

Written for the SWG August challenge Utopia/Dystopia, for the prompt: "We have to build the Republic of Heaven where we are, because for us there is no elsewhere."- Philip Pullman, The Amber Spyglass

Posted here on AO3.

Fanwork Information

Summary:

Elrond muses on the idea of Elves being 'for the world'. A triple drabble.

Major Characters: Elrond

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Fixed-Length Ficlet, General

Challenges: Utopia/Dystopia

Rating: General

Warnings:

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 304
Posted on 6 September 2020 Updated on 6 September 2020

This fanwork is complete.

Here, Where We Are

Read Here, Where We Are

We are for the world, not for wherever it is that Men go when their lives are done. Here, in this world, the globe or the plane and the liminal space between that connects them. It is here that we must build, bide, grow, love, endure and start anew betimes.

Gil Galad builds and thrives in Lindon, I here in Imladris, Celebrimbor in Eregion, hard by the Dwarves, who are as much of this world as we, so far as might be determined, as they do not speak of their beliefs and sacred knowledge to those not counted as Khazad.

Galadriel, with Celeborn and many who once were of Doriath have settled and build (or perhaps one could say grow, for the great trees are their medium whereon their architecture flourishes) East and South, and fair indeed is that domain. The golden Lady of the Eldar (of the Noldor indeed, once of an age with the White Lady of that people) does not countenance the title Queen, any more than Lord Elrond will have aught to do with prince or king -- Gil Galad is King, no other -- with a realm and people and a drive to establish love and joy.

This, here, now, is where we build, where we strive to set this battered land in better, brighter, harmonious frame, to live with out neighbors -- elf, man, ent, tree, horse and hound and hare and wolf alike in peace and concord. And however long it lasts -- for this is Arda Marred, and nothing, even in the Blessed Realm under the hand of the Valar, will last entire, unstained, unspoiled, untouched by the violence of creation, and the malice of the marring, we will stand tall, rejoice, raise children, teach apprentices and students, and above all sing and laugh and love.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


I like that a lot!

I seem to see a reflection of Finrod's hope in the Atrabeth in it, as well as the spirit of Rivendell, of course, and also a bit of defence of Celebrimbor against the criticism canon directs at his hopes and ambitions?

Very well expressed, very Elrond.