Burning Iron by Lferion

| | |

Fanwork Notes

A double drabble written for the Silmarillion Writer's Guild September challenge "Naturalist's Guide to Middle-earth", with this image of one of the Umbellifers as my prompt. Also inspirational was the fan flashworks prompt 'Iron'.

Posted here on AO3

Many thanks to Morgynleri and Runa for encouragement and sanity-checking.

Fanwork Information

Summary:

Tales say that iron burns the flesh of elves.

Major Characters:

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Experimental, Fixed-Length Ficlet

Challenges: Naturalist's Guide to Middle-earth

Rating: General

Warnings:

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 202
Posted on 4 October 2020 Updated on 4 October 2020

This fanwork is complete.

Burning Iron

Read Burning Iron

Tales say that iron burns the flesh of elves. Those tales are not correct. Iron burns in the hands of Elves: Burns with blue-bright flame wrought as steel, with edges sharp, points keen, shafts sturdy, hilts bound round with wire gripping fast and firm. To elves (and Men, Dwarves, Hobbits, that incandescent metal is quite cool, affords no harm to flesh, not by means of fire, though points and edges are no less hazard. No, that iron fire is scorching signal of Angband's evil, of Morgoth's warped and brittle, breaking song imbued in the engendering, crafting, assembling of his constructs.

One of the secrets - only one, of several - is in the charcoal that is used to make the weapon-steel from iron. The charcoal must be made from oak, ash, and elder, with a generous layering of iron-hard and fennel. Of oak, wood and galls are used, of ash, wood and keys. Iron-hard, also called Bluet, provides the base for the blue and the sharpness of the warding glow, the umbelliferous fennel provides a key to the perceptive, warning and warding element. (And as with the iron, the herbs are used by, not against, the Elves. But such is the Marring.)


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.