Begging and betrayal by ford_of_bruinen

| | |

Fanwork Notes

Written for lady elleth who wanted a poem based around the following qoute.

"[Nerdanel] retired to her father's house; but when it became clear that Fëanor and his sons would leave Valinor for ever, she came before him before the host started on its northward march, and begged that Fëanor should leave her the two youngest, the twins, or at least one of them. He replied: "Were you a true wife as you had been till cozened by Aulë, you would keep them all, for you would be coming with us. If you desert me you desert also all of our children. For they are determined to go with their father." Then Nerdanel was angry and she answered: "You will not keep all of them. One at least will never set foot on Middle-earth." "Take your evil omens to the Valar who will delight in them," said Fëanor. "I defy them." So they parted."

Fanwork Information

Summary:

A poem about the last meeting of Nerdanel of Feanor according to HoMe

Major Characters: Fëanor, Nerdanel

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Poetry

Challenges:

Rating: General

Warnings:

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 250
Posted on 29 September 2007 Updated on 29 September 2007

This fanwork is complete.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


I read this poem a few days back, at your LJ feeling a bit at loss what to say. This poem carries so much pain and feeling of defeat: it is overwhelming (in a good way). I think what adds to it is the meter in this poem, delivering the message in a strong way. In a way it is just like that, I hear her talking to me, accentuating those words and moments that hurt her the most. Maybe I’ve been listening to much musicals off late, but this piece has the feeling of one. This is a great poem Uli!

Thank you :) I am very glad you enjoyed it. I have to admit that the idea of writing this one scared me seeing it was built around such a specific qoute but once i started writing it just flowed. I don't think I did any tweaking at all, it just appeared in a state where I felt playig with it would have weakened it

*hugs* 

 

thanks for the fb 

Well, what can I say? I would like to offer constructive criticism, but... wow. The poem, despite being so strongly based on the quote I asked for, has a life of its own. You definitely managed to bring the feelings of the moment across perfectly. It's a painful, sad, dark moment, and your work takes all that and makes it more magnificent (not the right word in this context) - wow.   

Thank you so much for writing this! *hugs*

I am very glad you enjoyed the poem :) I admit when I first looked at the qoute my instinct was to scream HELP! and run *lol* But once I started writing it it cames suprisingly easy, possibly because I love that whole bit in the HoMe and knew it well already and possibly because I always felt a great sympathy for Nerdanel.

Thank you for the challange and so glad it was what you wanted

*hugs*