To Write A Song by Tarion Anarore

Fanwork Information

Summary:

Debuted in B2MEM after being properly aged. A double drabble on songwriting.

Major Characters: Maglor

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Fixed-Length Ficlet, General

Challenges:

Rating: General

Warnings:

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 208
Posted on 24 March 2008 Updated on 24 March 2008

This fanwork is complete.

Chapter 1

Read Chapter 1

They thought I ought to write a song.

 

They asked if I would, told me I should, wondered why I did not.

 

At first, for a fleeting moment, I thought that I should write a song too. And as soon as the thought formed, I shook my head and thought, No, I cannot write a song. It would be too much, not enough to justify the hurt. I knew then with certainty that I would not write a song.

 

They did not realize being emotionally attached to such a song made writing the song unthinkable. And I was more than attached. I was in love with it, I was dependent upon it. Yes, writing that song would be unbearable. The simple thought of it stung my heart. No, I wanted as much distance from it as I could get.

 

It's easy to write about emotion - with emotion - when it is an emotion you do not currently feel. The distance makes the lyrics seem lovely, the romantic phrases inducing faint sentiments that wrap gently around you. But if you get too close, they consume you, trap you, confine you.

 

There would be no song. No explanation.

 

And they always wondered why.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.