Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


When I saw that the protagonist was called Janet, I thought of Tam Lin immediately... now I'm all proud I guessed right ^__^

 A lovely faery tale - I really liked your interpretation of the "everlasting dark", as well as the faery tale/Tolkien hybrid. And dammit, I'm slightly jealous of Janet ;)

 

I'm glad yuo enjoyed the story.  Janet was a lot of fun to write:  plucky, but with absolutely no idea of what she was getting herself into.  And I figured that after spending who knows how many Ages with Ungoliant, poor Feanor had atoned enough and deserved a happy ending.

I am remiss in offering my compliments on this fine deep dark faerie tale with its oh-so-satisfying finish.  Quite some time ago -- before you re-emerged in fandom :^) -- someone (Rhapsy or Marta, I believe) directed me to "Of Leaves of Red and Petals Gold: A Faerie Tale" on HASA where I devoured it -- like Ungoliant devoured her mates, her young and light itself -- in one sitting. 

I'm hard pressed to name any one of your stories as my "favorite" because each one draws me into the Ithilwen!verse and holds me there, but this one really exemplifies your creativity.  Not only do I have a soft spot for elves-in-modern-times stories, but I also love to read and write "mixed mythologies" within the Tolkien legendarium.  So OLoGaPR really fits the bill here.  Add to that two memorable, well-drawn characters, one canon and portrayed perfectly and one of a type I would so like to see more of in Tolkienian fan fic -- a strong and authentic OFC -- and a villainous creature who could have dropped in (on a silk filament) from Lovecraft, and well, I am over the moon with delight over this story.

I'll conclude my effusive (but heartfelt) verbiage with a simple "Brava!" 

Thank you for the wonderful review, Pande.  I'm so glad you like this story; it's one of my personal favorites.

I can't take too much credit for its creativity; the story's genesis was a discussion on the Henneth Annun mailing list about fanfic stories featureing evil!seductive!movie!Haldir.  Dwimmordene mentioned that she saw Feanor as a much more plausible Tam Lin type than Haldir - and that set the plotbunnies a'chewing.  Twenty-four hours later, after a frantic all-night writing session, Of Leaves of Gold was born.   Now, where OFC Janet came from - I have no idea! 

A feisty, sympathetic modern girl, old folktales, everybody's favourite Noldo, action/adventure, romance, and some great bit of humour/references... what's not to love about this story?

I know I've reviewed this a lot over the years, but it's one I often come back to re-read and I always enjoy it everytime I do. As always, thank you for taking on this plot bunny and spinning out such a fun, engaging story from it! Definitely one of my fanfiction classics!