Queen of Hearts by Cirdan

| | |

Chapter 1: Elennar: Star-fire


Celebrian could hardly sleep the night before her birthday party, and so she was awake when a bird rapped softly on her window. She went to the window quickly lest her parents be awakened. Galadriel, in particular, was a light sleeper. Celebrian parted her curtains and felt her heart soared when she saw the finely chiseled features of Celebrimbor's pale face pleading with her to open the window. Gladly did she oblige him.

"Celebrimbor, what are you doing here?" Celebrian whispered. She was overjoyed to see him, but she knew that her father, though fond of Celebrimbor, was also weary of him, for he was the last of the House of Feanor. If Celeborn caught Celebrimbor coming to his daughter so, he would throw a fit.

"I couldn't wait until tomorrow, Lady Celebrian," Celebrimbor said.

It would've been improper for him to enter her room after dark, but Celebrian would have been willing if he had only asked. Her heart was racing. She'd long known that those bright-eyed looks had hidden deeper feelings and that his gifts to her were not only because she was the daughter of Celeborn and Galadriel. Now that she was about to reach her majority, at last they could be able to speak openly of their mutual affection. Celeborn would object to their relationship, of course, but she knew how to soften her father's stubborn disposition.

Celebrian shared a secret smile with Celebrimbor. "And what was it, Lord Celebrimbor, that could not wait until tomorrow?"

"My birthday gift to you." Celebrimbor's eyes were like brilliant stars, and though he was older than her by many years, she thought he looked scarcely older than her. His face was so earnest.

"And what might be your gift to me?" Celebrian leaned over her windowsill in case he was planning to kiss her, but what she really wanted was an engagement ring.

He gave her neither. Instead, Celebrimbor presented to her a brilliant green stone set in silver in the shape of an eagle with spread wings.

"This is the Elennar, the Star-fire," Celebrimbor said.

The Elennar was a fiery red stone set in gold in the likeness of an eagle rising upon outspread wings. Celebrian put her hands over the magnificent gift, and her heart fluttered as their hands met.

"It is a mighty gift, Lord Celebrimbor," Celebrian said softly. "But why not wait to present it to me tomorrow?"

Even in the faint light, Celebrian could see the light blush upon Celebrimbor's fair cheeks. Though he was Lord of Eregion, he was boyish in his mannerisms. At last, she understood the delight that Galadriel had taken in pursuing Celeborn rather than awaiting his pursuit of her.

"Well, others may misconstrue my intentions in giving you such a fine gift." Celebrimbor averted his eyes from hers.

"Oh?" she purred. "And what are your intentions?"

"To kindle your heart to light and joy in a world that grows chill. The Elennar will bring warmth and healing to the land around you so that your dwelling will be the fairest place in Middle-earth." His words stirred her heart.

"Thank you, Celebrimbor." She kissed him on the cheek and watched with mischievous pleasure as he blushed to the tips of his pointed ears.

When he recovered, Celebrimbor said, "It is I who must thank you, Lady Celebrian, for without this joyous heart of mine, such a work of loveliness and magic could not be."

---

Nenya, Ring of Water

Celebrimbor and Celebrian met under the mallorn trees, and he held her in his strong arms and kissed her ardently. His long, slender fingers stroked her silver hair, and she traced his ear as their embrace lengthened. At last, they stopped for air, but they did not break their hold upon one another.

"It has been too long, Mirdan," Celebrian chided Celebrimbor.

"I'm sorry."

"I only tease." Celebrian kissed him repeatedly.

"What may I do to make amends, my Lady?" Celebrimbor asked.

"Nay, your work takes precedent."

Celebrimbor shook his head. "I felt as if something was missing in my life, and so I sought to fill that emptiness with my craft. Now that my eyes behold you again, I know that my heart was missing you."

Celebrian rewarded him with a kiss for his kind words. "Though I love the mallorn trees of Lothlorien, I miss the holly trees of Eregion. I don't understand why Mother wishes to dwell here apart from her husband." She kissed Celebrimbor more deeply so that there was no doubt of who she wished to be her husband. "How is my father?" she asked.

"Celeborn is as well as can be," Celebrimbor said, and it seemed that he became tense all at once.

"I know that he still disapproves of our love, but surely he cannot deny us forever," Celebrian said gently. She caressed Celebrimbor's face.

"It's not that," he said. "There is something more sinister abound."

"Let us not speak of it now then, for I do not wish for our rare reunion to be spoiled." Celebrian took his hand and put her face to his palm. "What of the ring you promised me, Mirdan?"

Celebrimbor flinched and drew away. "I'm sorry, Miriel. It cannot be so."

"Celebrimbor?" Celebrian's heart became filled with foreboding. "What is the matter? If it is Father, then take comfort in knowing that I have at last prevailed upon my mother to approve of our relationship."

"No, it's not that." Celebrimbor kept his distance from her, almost as if he feared that he would not have the strength to resist her should she embrace him again. "The ring I made for you, the White Ring, oh, it is lovely to behold, wrought of mithril and set with a stone of adamant, but though I made it as your engagement ring, the engagement will never now occur."

"Why not?" Celebrian demanded. "I have waited years for this moment."

Unshed tears filled Celebrimbor's eyes, and he passed a hand over them. "I... I'm sorry, Celebrian. I should not have misled you, but so overjoyed was I to see you again that I forgot myself. We cannot be wed."

"But--"

"I must speak with Galadriel. I need her counsel."

---

Celebrimbor

They had received no news of Eregion since hearing that Gil-galad had dispatched a force under Elrond's command to aid in the War against Sauron. But Celebrian had returned to her room to find the Elennar cracked and the fiery red of the jewel clear. She cradled the broken Elennar to her breast and gazed up at the stars as she wept, for she knew then that Celebrimbor was slain.


Chapter End Notes

Birthday here is really a celebration of Celebrian's conception. She's turning 50.

Elennar (Elen+nar) is "Star-fire" and manages to preserve a similarity in spelling to the Elessar. The original Elennar was a match for the Elessar and was made by Feanor for Maedhros. Here, Celebrimbor has made a second one. (This is not an object from canon.)

Celebrimbor's original intention of giving Nenya to Celebrian as an engagement ring might, in some small way, explain why this ring was so significant to Celebrimbor and why he might have entrusted it to Galadriel rather than send all Three Rings to Gil-galad.

Mirdan is "Jewel-wright" and is Celebrimbor's nickname and title (like Cirdan the Shipwright). Miriel is "Jewel-woman" and is a nickname used only by Celebrimbor for Celebrian.


Table of Contents | Leave a Comment