Upon the Branching Years by IgnobleBard

| | |

In the House of the Tree

Legolas finds hard work and a little skill goes a long way. A little luck doesn't hurt either.


The tower of Galdor’s great house was tall and white, like all the other Great Houses in the city. Inside its gates the courtyard was bordered by tall poplar trees. The white marble flagstones were veined in green and red, laid out in a decorative geometric pattern. The great hall was of white marble also, with mosaics of trees wrought in mica and jasper upon the walls and a large tree of topaz and jade inlay upon the floor. Along one wall a cascade of water over mountain rock tumbled into a mossy pool where turtles and fish swam, and this fountain was surrounded by ferns and other forest greenery.

Galdor hailed a servant who hurried over. He pointed at Legolas. “Limhir, this is a new addition to the city. His name is…”
 
“Legolas Greenleaf, of the forests of Mithrim.”
 
“Happy to make your acquaintance.” Limhir held out his hand and Legolas gripped his forearm in a warrior’s greeting then awkwardly changed it to a simple handshake, cursing himself for the error. If Galdor noticed he did not call attention to it.

“Take him to the kitchens and show him his duties, then find him a place to sleep.” He raised an amused eyebrow at Legolas’ stunned look. “What? You didn’t expect to start at the top did you?”
 
“No, not at all.” Legolas recovered quickly. “Thank you, my lord.”
 
Limhir led him through a series of halls and rooms such that Legolas thought he might become lost for weeks in this building before anyone even noticed his absence. He pictured his skeleton being found in some lavishly appointed corner of the palace without ever having found the kitchens again once he left them.
 
“How did you get into the hidden city?” the servant asked him.
 
That seemed to be the only topic the people here were interested in.
 
“It’s a long story,” he said, suppressing a sigh.
 
“Whatever path brought you here it was the right one. Things will be better for you now. This city is the safest in Arda.”
 
Legolas’ thoughts turned again to the battle he had left to be here and his heart clenched in grief, but this time he felt the grief of the time before him as well as the time behind. “Yes, I’m very lucky.” He was grateful his voice did not break.
 
When they reached the kitchens Limhir turned him over to the chief cook, who put him to scullery work while he and the kitchen staff tended to the cooking and baking. The work made Legolas appreciate the staff in the Greenwood more than ever. He had given little thought in the past for the time consuming and difficult task it was to serve meals to so many. He was rewarded for his labors with a bowl of fine stew made for the staff and a chunk of bread fresh from the oven.  
 
When he was shown to the sleep chamber he found it to be a sort of dormitory with four to a room, though it was spacious and the bed quite comfortable when he sat upon it and gave it cursory bounce. The others were eager to hear his tale and so he told them his made up story. But this time he got a much better reception as they all clapped him on the back and assured him he need fear the enemy no more. When he at last tumbled into bed he was so exhausted no dreams troubled him until a messenger shook him awake the next morning.
 
“Lord Galdor sends for you,” the messenger said urgently.
 
It took Legolas a moment to remember where he was and another to remember the king’s admonition of the day before. He would be taking a trip to the mountains today.
 
The messenger left a new set of clothing for him, a tunic like the other servants wore, brown with a green tree on the front, and a pair of forest green pants. The ensemble was supple and much to his liking, though he did not care for the light shoes and so wore his sturdy boots instead.
 
Galdor greeted him cheerily enough. He seemed to think that his charge would be weary or apprehensive about the day’s activities but Legolas greeted him with equal cheer. They set out at once, accompanied by three other guards sporting clubs and slings at their side. When they reached the base of the Amon Gwareth, horses were waiting for them and they rode across the vast expanse of green with a sunny blue sky above.

Legolas led them to the place he had entered the city. The tunnel would speak for itself, he thought. He only hoped Ulmo had a plan to keep them from ending up on the dusty plain of Mordor should they decide to explore it to its end. As it turned out he needn’t have worried, the tunnel simply wasn’t there anymore. He searched among the rocks and boulders but he was too unerring in his skills to not recognize the place.
 
“There is no pass through here,” Galdor said as he and the others searched around. “I know you did not simply pop out of a hole in the ground.”
 
“I must have lost my bearings. I’m sure it was right around here.” He pretended to search with the others, at a loss of what else to do.
 
They spent another hour traversing the steep mountainside before giving up. “I know I crossed over jagged peaks and narrow pathways,” Legolas said, “before coming downward into the valley.”
 
“You speak of the Cirith Thoronath? That is a dangerous path indeed, for it is guarded by the Great Eagles. You are lucky to have made it through there without injury or death. It is east of here.”
 
“That must be the answer,” Legolas said, relieved. “I was mistaken in my directions, I fear.”
 
“It’s a wonder you didn’t climb the mountains of Angband with a sense of direction like that. If Glorfindel suspects you of being a scout it is he who is mistaken,” Galdor said. “Very well then, that should settle things with the king. I will make my report to him when we get back.”
 
As they spoke, a snake came slithering from the stones above. Morgoth sent such creatures as spies, and the Elves always made short work of them when they could. One of the guards sent a stone from his sling flying at the creature but it missed, chipping the rock next to its head. He loaded another stone but Galdor stayed him.

“Let Legolas try.”
 
Legolas had hunted with a sling in his youth before he was old enough to wield a bow and had never missed a shot. Nor did he now. He sent the stone flying straight into the retreating snake’s head, killing it instantly. The others murmured their approval.
 
“You have some skill with the weapon. Definitely of the Green-elves.” Galdor sounded gratified.
 
“I have had much practice, I admit. Not so much with your heavy clubs though.”
 
Galdor nodded. “I’ll note that for the future.”
 
When they returned to the city, Galdor and Legolas went again to the king’s palace where Galdor made his report. Turgon wasn’t entirely convinced but he did agree to remove any restrictions from Legolas at some point in the future, provided he proved worthy.
 
As they prepared to leave, Turgon stayed them. “One moment, I would like you to meet those whom I see have just arrived. This is Tuor, Lord of the House of the Wing, and Lady Idril, my most lovely and wise daughter.”
 
Legolas perked up and bowed, interested to meet Elrond’s kin. “Pleased to meet you Lord Tuor, and you as well Lady Idril.” He could see in Tuor the fair twinkle of Elrond’s eyes while the shape of his nose was almost a match for that of Idril.
 
“So this is the Green-elf that has the whole city astir,” Tuor said, his voice booming across the marble expanse of the hall. “I too endured many trials to find my way here, though I had some divine and Elvish assistance.” He was tall and broad, with arms and legs as thick as young saplings. His loose blond hair framed a guileless face while his brilliant blue eyes were filled with the eagerness of Men, who knew much but often saw little. His friendly grin was infectious, however, and Legolas flashed him a ready smile of his own.
 
“Our stories are both unconventional it seems. I hope the same providence that you received might in some way have guided me here as well.”
 
“Time will reveal all, I suppose. Well, wife, what is your feeling about this one?”
 
Idril was much more reserved than her husband, with the grace and beauty of Elvish nobility. Her golden hair was pulled back from her face and her grey eyes held much serene wisdom. Legolas remembered that she was supposed to have been able to see into the hearts of Elves and Men. His whole future might rest on her appraisal. He resisted the urge to wipe his suddenly sweaty palms on his trousers.
 
She did not bother with an overall perusal but looked him straight in the eye as she spoke. “Auspicious is the name Greenleaf for this one, for he is as a breath of spring upon frozen ground and from him shall bloom hope after the bitterness of evil times.”
 
The room went so silent Legolas could hear the beat of his own heart. Everyone stared at him as though he had sprouted a horn from his forehead. When Turgon broke the silence the king looked visibly relieved. “Fair words, my daughter. I consider the matter settled then. Galdor, he’s all yours.”
 
Dismissed, Galdor and Legolas departed the halls, Galdor in better humor than Legolas had yet seen. “It seems you have passed the test, my young friend. You are blessed by the Valar indeed.”

 


Table of Contents | Leave a Comment