Upon the Branching Years by IgnobleBard

| | |

Golden Hours

Legolas and Glorfindel fool around.


Glorfindel led him to the House of the Golden Flower, showing him a secret entrance that took them through a passageway and up the back stairs to Glorfindel’s rooms, which were near the top of the tower. They were not lavish, as Legolas had expected, but were finely appointed with cushioned chairs, intricate tapestries depicting, surprisingly, pastoral scenes, and sturdy tables of jet and ivory. A corner of the main sitting room was set up as a study with a tidy desk sporting a large conch shell on top. There was also a sea glass paperweight of turquoise green with the image of a swan ship carved into it.

Legolas looked out the large window of the tower that offered a spectacular view of the city. The blue lamps of the Noldor twinkled softly in the streets below, mirroring the profusion of stars above. Legolas took in the scene for a long moment, captivated by the sight. Glorfindel joined him.

“It is stimulating to see the city through your obvious wonderment. It makes everything seem new and splendid.”

“It is grander than anything I ever imagined,” Legolas said. "I could live here a hundred years and never become dulled to its wonders.”

“Tell me that again in a hundred years,” Glorfindel said with a wistful chuckle. “It has been almost four hundred for me and I find its luster a bit tarnished. I preferred living close to the sea.”

“I have never been,” Legolas said.

“Oh, you really must one day. The cry of the gulls, the breaking of the waves upon the shore. It is a very spiritual place. Ulmo is very present there.”

“I find the forest to be that for me. The tall, sturdy trees, the ferns and mossy streams. It is so much a part of me I don’t think I could ever truly be happy anywhere else.”

“If you love the forests and I the sea, where then shall we live?” Glorfindel said with a grin.

“Why here, of course,” Legolas said readily. And he meant it. He would have lived here with Glorfindel forever if not for the burden of destiny.

They placed chairs in front of the window and sat talking long into the night, until the first rays of Anor climbed over the distant mountains, bathing the towers of Gondolin in a rosy glow.

“I must get back to the Tree before I am missed,” Legolas said with a yawn.

“How will they know you didn’t go out early?”

Legolas thought it over. “A good ruse for another time, perhaps, but I have training to get to. There is no day off from that.”

“Ah, the life of a knight,” Glorfindel said expansively, leaning back in his chair and crossing his legs at the ankle. “I myself can sleep in as long as I like and exercise when I will.”

“Don’t rub it in,” Legolas said with a laugh. Then he paused, feeling a bit awkward. “When can we see each other again? Do I come to you, or you to me…”

“You are easy enough to find, don’t worry. I will see you again soon.”

“Very well then.” He hesitated once more. “Good bye,” he said at last and started for the door.

“You can do better than that,” Glorfindel said.

Legolas turned and Glorfindel stepped into his arms, giving him a kiss that lingered pleasantly in his memory all day.

For the next couple of weeks, Glorfindel sought him out often, and they spent many pleasant hours hiding in quiet corners of the city or visiting taverns that catered only to the Great Houses, where the watchword was secrecy and discretion. They fell into a relationship so quickly and easily, after such a rough start, that the days flowed by like euphoric dream.

One day Legolas was in the Square of the Folkwell, wandering among the trees there when Glorfindel, as was his wont, appeared suddenly beside him while his mind was fixed on other things.

“How did you find me?” Legolas asked.

“You are easy to find, as I said. Just locate a tree or fountain and there you are.”

“You are ruining my mystique,” Legolas said with a teasing pout. “But your methods are sloppy. Only one person knew I was coming here today.”

“Yes, but you don’t know the network I had to set up to get the information from Erestor and have it relayed back to me.”

“Now you are ruining your mystique,” Legolas quipped.

“How would you like to have supper in my rooms tonight?” Glorfindel said abruptly.

“Not the tavern?”

“No, I want you all to myself.”

“I would like that.” Legolas' stomach fluttered at the prospect. They had been taking things slow, getting to know each other, but this was different. He could feel it.

Legolas waited until the guard’s wing at the Tree quieted down for the night, with the residents either in their rooms or out about the town, before heading for the Golden Flower. He took sparsely traveled back streets to the place, hoping he wasn’t randomly spotted by some gossip, wishing he had Glorfindel’s stealth.

When he entered Glorfindel’s suite, he was surprised to find himself alone. After a moment Glorfindel came in from another room dressed in a loose tunic and pants, his hair braided with white ribbon. He smiled happily when he saw Legolas and kissed him in greeting.

“Sorry, I was a bit late getting ready. I had some business to take care of first.” He came over and sat down. Legolas took a seat also.

“So, you’ll be going on patrol again day after tomorrow, is that not so?” Glorfindel asked.

“Yes, two weeks on and two off, as usual.”

“Good, this time your tour will be with the guards of the Flower. I will expect a good report from them when you return.”

“On my performance, or on my discretion?” he asked, slightly amused but also a bit offended that Glorfindel thought him so unwise.

“Both,” Glorfindel said. “Not that I think you indiscreet, but I know how easily the talk can turn to… let’s say less military matters, when men get bored.”

Legolas gave him an exaggerated salute. “Yes, my lord.”

“Oh, come, don’t be angry,” Glorfindel soothed. “It is as much for your honor as for mine.”

“Forgive me, it’s just that I thought we knew each other better, that’s all.” He sat back with a frustrated sigh.

“You may not have noticed this about me, but I leave nothing to chance,” Glorfindel said solemnly.

Legolas knew this to be true. He also knew this Glorfindel was just as concerned about protecting him as the Glorfindel he had left behind on that battlefield what seemed seven lives ago. How could he be angry at a man who would do anything for him, face any danger to shield him, even at the cost of his own safety?

“I know you are just trying to protect me, but it is truly not necessary. Even so, I will use extra caution with your knights.”

Glorfindel looked regretful. “I should have trusted to your judgement. You have not given me any reason to doubt you, yet sometimes I fear losing you.”

“That you will never do,” Legolas said with certainty.

Glorfindel pulled him to his feet and they began to kiss until they were breathless with need. “I think we both wanted something more from tonight than talk of patrols,” he said, panting slightly.

“Indeed,” Legolas said, kissing him again.

Glorfindel maneuvered them to the bedroom amid many kisses and mutual groping. A cool evening breeze wafted through the open window and Legolas tugged gently at Glorfindel’s braid, freeing the white ribbon and letting his golden hair, stirred by Manwë's breath, flow freely through his eager fingers.

Legolas took a step back from Glorfindel’s embrace and unfastened his pants, swelling pleasantly against the breach as his desire grew. He helped Glorfindel divest himself of his shirt, fingers playing lightly over his broad chest, smooth skin taut over supple muscle. His heart quickened to Glorfindel’s touch, gentle and reverent upon his body. They kissed and nipped each other with unhurried languor, letting the passion build before removing the rest of their clothing, their flushed, naked skin mirror images of their passion. There was nothing more arousing than being the object of desire to a man like Glorfindel. Legolas could wait no longer.

He urged Glorfindel onto the bed, straddling him before filling himself with that blissful heat. Legolas shuddered, rocking his hips in a slow steady rhythm while Glorfindel’s roaming hands instinctively caressed the places he most longed to be touched.

“By the Powers,” Glorfindel moaned as Legolas rode him with unbearably sensual slowness. “So good,” he mumbled, his eyes clouded in dazed ecstasy, “so perfect.”

Legolas pressed himself closer, quickening his pace, biting his lip when Glorfindel nuzzled and nibbled his ear. He shifted his hips, taking him deeper, wanting more, craving more of the powerful feelings consuming him.

“Great Eru!” Glorfindel cried, coming undone beneath him. It was more than Legolas could take and he threw back his head and spilled himself between them with a strangled cry. He fell bonelessly against Glorfindel, his head on his shoulder, his sweat-slick body cooling in the soft breeze until the world righted itself again.

At last he raised his head, still gasping softly. He looked into Glorfindel’s eyes, the blue driven almost to black with his rapture. Glorfindel’s slowly steadying breath grazed his face and neck warmly, making him shiver with pleasure. Legolas inhaled deeply and pressed their foreheads together. “I love you, Glorfindel,” he said, kissing him tenderly.

“And I love you, Legolas Greenleaf.”

They smiled, clinging to each other until, with a wicked gleam in his eye, Glorfindel tumbled him over and made love to him again.

 


Table of Contents | Leave a Comment