Upon the Branching Years by IgnobleBard

| | |

The Calm Before

Disturbing things are happening. Legolas and Ecthelion clear the air.


The most difficult thing he’d done since arriving in Gondolin was leaving Glorfindel to report for patrol duty. The days seemed to drag on and he found himself having to ask his fellows to repeat a comment when he lost himself in reverie of that most wonderful night.

The weather was sunny and warm, save for a soaking rain at the end of the first week. The only inconvenience it presented was that it made the rocks slippery, and Legolas was forced to focus to keep from injuring himself as he leapt about the boulders near the Eagle’s Cleft. Twice other patrols they met reported bands of orcs moving through the hills on the far side of the peaks but the rule was not to engage them and so the Elves merely monitored their movements.

Legolas’ company didn’t encounter them, but the knights of the Hammer of Wrath were concerned about their numbers. It had been a long time since anything other than birds and beasts had been spotted so near the hidden ways. There was much discussion about advising their lords to convince Turgon to increase their numbers again. Some thought it unnecessary to raise any sort of alarm, since such talk had a tendency to distress the king and a few orcs posed no great threat. Others thought it prudent to err on the side of caution, even if the king didn’t like it.

Legolas did not say yay or nay in these discussions. His opinion on the matter could not change what was to be, though despite his foreknowledge he found it increasingly difficult to accept that Gondolin must fall. He tried to put such thoughts from his mind, knowing it was dangerous to even consider what might be done to save it. All this had already happened, and whatever part he was to play in events had happened already as well. The important thing was that he and Glorfindel survive to defeat Sauron in the Third Age and bring the world back into alignment with Eru’s plan.

When his tour was ended, he returned to the city with a heavy heart. The Gates of Summer was just a few weeks away and he was no closer to understanding his role in the events of that fateful night.

Upon his return, he found a message waiting for him in his rooms. It was from Glorfindel requesting his company at the tavern that night. He was a bit disappointed it wasn’t another invitation to the Flower but was happy Glorfindel had not wasted even a day seeking him upon his return.

He was surprised and yet more disappointed when he entered the tavern to see Glorfindel and Ecthelion sharing a table, chatting and laughing over tankards of ale. He paused at the door for a moment before summoning up his courage and striding over.

“Ah, Legolas, good to see you!” Glorfindel said. He stood and hugged him in greeting. Legolas stiffened, then returned the hug companionably so as not to give Ecthelion any ideas he might be harboring.

Ecthelion stood then and offered his hand in greeting, which Legolas returned reservedly. “It’s nice to finally meet you. I trust your patrol went well.”

Legolas glanced at Glorfindel before answering. “Yes, the men of the Flower are agreeable company.”

“Well, come then, let’s have a drink and a chat, shall we? What are you having?”

“Ale is fine.”

Ecthelion raised his hand toward the bar and a tankard was in front of Legolas within seconds. “I hope you don’t mind my joining you and Glorfindel this evening.”

“Not at all.” Legolas sipped his ale, trying to force his misgivings aside.

Legolas wore his hair in a single braid, adorned with ornate ribbons, as was the custom here. Glorfindel smoothed a hand possessively over his hair, giving his braid a little reassuring tug and shooting him a smile.

“It’s all right, he knows. Ecthelion is first among my friends, and I thought you two should be properly introduced.”

Legolas relaxed, but only a little. There was still the matter of Ecthelion’s behavior toward him in the palace, and that overheard conversation in the King’s Square when he was new to the city still niggled at his thoughts from time to time.

“Very well,” he said, looking at Ecthelion expectantly.

“It seems I am to start then,” Ecthelion said smoothly. “In that case, I ask your pardon for misjudging you when you arrived and for my discourteous behavior that day.”

His words were fair and his look sincere, still Legolas was wary. “I accept. Though I must wonder what causes you seek me out for an apology now.” He could not help glancing at Glorfindel again, but his lover’s face was impassive.

“For that I also must ask your pardon, though the reasons are a bit complicated. You see, my knights are a reserve unit, drawn from the best fighters among the houses. We guard the city gates and the way of escape. Your circumvention of these defenses put a bit of a black mark on my record, so to speak. When Galdor took you on, his ready acceptance of you irked me, especially in light of your refusal to answer for yourself. I thought you arrogant and devious, putting on courtly airs to conceal your true motives. But when Glorfindel spoke with you in the market, he came away with a different impression of you. I remained unconvinced, I confess it, but Glorfindel has persuaded me of your integrity. So I asked him if he would introduce us in order that I might make my apology in person.”

“Does your change of heart have anything to do with my… relationship with Glorfindel?”

“By the Powers you cut straight through!” Ecthelion exclaimed. “I will be as frank with you. It does not. But since we are making this a confessional, it might surprise you to know, despite my reservations, I thought about attempting to bed you myself at one time.”

Legolas was suddenly amused by the unaffected sincerity of Ecthelion’s disclosure. He could only imagine what secrets the man might have revealed to him in bed, despite thinking he was a spy. It made him wonder about the intrigues he was missing in this legendary city if these Noldor were so starved for variety.

He drew himself up and looked Ecthelion in the eye. “It does not surprise me for I heard your words to Glorfindel in the King’s Square at Idril’s fête that night.”

Now Ecthelion did have the decency to look embarrassed, which caused Glorfindel to laugh. “It seems you are something of a spy after all,” Ecthelion said, “but your discernment was correct and so I apologize for that as well. Now that Glorfindel has won the prize, I hope we can all move forward as friends.”

Legolas would have taken offense to being called a prize, but he could see Ecthelion was complimenting Glorfindel and not insulting him. If he had been forced to choose between them Ecthelion might have had a chance, but he and Glorfindel were simply meant to be no matter when and where they were destined to meet.

“I would like that very much,” Legolas said, raising his tankard in salute to Ecthelion.

With the air cleared of all previous wrongs, they spent a pleasant night of drink and talk. Ecthelion proved amusing company, and Legolas could see why he and Glorfindel were friends. They had practically grown up together in Aman and shared many of the same interests. He told a story about Glorfindel’s attempt to become a bard in Aman before meeting his match in Maglor that had Legolas laughing himself to tears. Glorfindel had never much liked talking about his youth and Legolas often wondered what life in Aman was like. From the stories they told, he gathered that their lives in Gondolin were in many ways like their lives in Tirion had been. As much as he loved Glorfindel, and as splendid as Gondolin was, he did not envy them their grand city with its white towers. The forest would always be his true home.

 


Table of Contents | Leave a Comment