Kingly Advice? by Kaylee Arafinwiel

Fanwork Information

Summary:

Elros seeks out his great-uncle after receiving surprising news, asking advice from the head of his family.

Major Characters: Elros, Finarfin

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Family, General

Challenges: Times of Bliss

Rating: General

Warnings:

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 244
Posted on 27 February 2021 Updated on 27 February 2021

This fanwork is complete.

Chapter 1

Prompt: “And when they came into the West the Elves of Beleriand dwelt upon Tol Eressëa, the Lonely Isle, that looks both west and east; whence they might come even to Valinor. They were admitted again to the love of Manwë and the pardon of the Valar; and the Teleri forgave their ancient grief, and the curse was laid to rest.” ~ The Silmarillion, Of the Voyage of Eärendil and the War of Wrath

Read Chapter 1

"Aranya."

Arafinwë glanced up to find the young Perelda who frequented the Atan camps staring at him. The dark hair, the grey eyes tinged with blue - he was reminded of nothing so much as Finwë in miniature.

"Nephew." Arafinwë waved away the formality. "Come in. Where is your brother?"

"With the healers, of course." The elfling - boy? No, a man he certainly seemed, battered by the horrors of war - entered the tent properly, shoulders squared, and gave the Noldòran a proper bow. "I hope I am not disturbing you....uncle."

"Not at all, Elerossë." It had taken a moment for the king to remember his great-nephew's name, he thought with chagrin. They had spent little time together, after all. "What can I do for you?"

"I need advice, and I have none to give it." Elros leaned on Arafinwë's desk, eyes half-shut, and the king stepped around it to embrace his great-nephew. Elerondo would have pulled away, he thought. Elerossë, however, leaned into his touch gratefully.

"Not even Artanáro? What is this you cannot ask of him?"

Elerossë grimaced. "He and Elerondo both think I am mad," he muttered. "They are angry with me. But the Captain says the Powers mean to raise a new isle to the west, between here and the West of West." He gestured impatiently. "The Atani wish to make a king of me. What makes a king?"

"I am still learning, Nephew," Arafinwë admitted with a laugh.


Chapter End Notes

They are speaking Quenya, so the twins' names (and others) are rendered in that language. 

Arafinwe = Finarfin

Artanáro = Ereinion Gil-galad

Elerosse = Elros

Elerondo = Elrond


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.