New Challenge: Back to the Future

Back to the Future SWG challenge banner

"I imagine the gap to be about 6000 years: that is we are now at the end of the Fifth Age, if the Ages were of about the same length as S.A. and T.A. But they have, I think, quickened; and I imagine we are actually at the end of the Sixth Age, or in the Seventh."

J.R.R. Tolkien, "Letter 211 to Rhona Beare" (1958)

In the same letter to Ms. Beare quoted above, Tolkien also wrote, "I have, I suppose, constructed an imaginary time, but kept my feet on my own mother-earth for place," leading many fans to interpret our current time as the Seventh Age. However, as the quote shows, Tolkien was far from certain of that conclusion--and the rapidity with which his ideas were evolving at this point in his work on The Silmarillion casts similar doubt on just about anything he wrote during this time. (Dome of Varda, anyone?)

This month's challenge asks you to put a character, culture, or place in Arda in the Seventh Age. When the Seventh Age actually is--is it right now? in the future? or was Tolkien totally wrong and it's actually passed?--is completely up to you.

Furthermore, June is Pride Month, and as in years past, fanworks that include LGBTQ+ charcters will receive a special stamp.

In order to receive a stamp for your fanwork, your response must be posted to the archive on or before 10 July 2021. For complete challenge guidelines, see the Challenges page on our website.


Posted on 2 July 2021 (updated 20 July 2021) by Dawn Felagund