By the Lake of Lorellin by Kaylee Arafinwiel

| | |

By the Lake of Lorellin

Melian, scrying in the lake of Lorellin, sees a troubling sight - and her great-granddaughter is equally troubled by the repetition of troubles throughout her life and their people's.


'I saw you there dancing but I was afraid I might get in the way.' -Dave Matthews Band, 'Stolen Away on 55th and 3rd'

T.A. 2509, Aman, viewing the Misty Mountains

 

It was market-day in the Goblin-towns.

Of course it was, though Elwing could not for all the gold in Arda say why. "Is it always a market-day when bad things happen, Daernana?"

 

"What do you mean, best beloved?" Melian inquired.

 

"It was market-day in Doriath when the Lechenn came. It was market-day in Armenlos, stalls ripped from the Tarmasundar, when the Great Wave engulfed my granddaughter's kingdom, changing the shape of the world. And now..." She turned her face away in grief, breaking her concentration on the still waters of Lorellin. "How could this happen? Do the Belain truly hate us?"

 

"Not so!" came the swift denial. "This is none of my Masters' doing, nor of yours. You know as well as any, my dear child, that some things must happen a certain way." She wrapped her arms about her great-granddaughter.

 

"Even so, the thought that these...creatures would barter and bargain for elven hair - and who knows what else - I cannot look." Elwing shuddered, tears soaking Melian's shoulder. "Is she dead, Daernana?"

 

"No," Melian murmured. "Celebrian lives, and will come to us for healing."

 

"Another heartbreak for my son to endure," Elwing murmured, closing her eyes tightly.

 

Melian sighed, her breath rippling the still lake. "It was not the first, and will not be the last, but he will be yours again in his time, best beloved."


Table of Contents | Leave a Comment