Middle-earth Olympics Closing Ceremony RESCHEDULED

Middle-earth Olympics challenge banner with Olympic rings

The Middle-earth Olympics challenge is coming to a close, and to round out a fabulous monthlong event, we will host a closing ceremony on 22 August 2021 at 15:00 UTC. (Find the closing ceremonies in your own timezone here.) While there are only a few days left of the challenge, it is not too late to get involved!

  • We have extended the challenge deadline this month to 15 August. All fanworks posted to the archive on or before that date are eligible for a stamp. As always, late fanworks are welcome but do not receive stamps. Find the Middle-earth Olympics challenge prompts here.
  • Award a medal. Even if you weren't involved in the challenge, you can award a medal to someone who was. You can award medals for any kind of involvement in the challenge: creators, commenters, teammates, betas, fellow fans who inspired and helped you in any way as part of the challenge. Here is a chance to take just a few moments to show your appreciation for someone! (Find all of the fanworks created for the Middle-earth Olympics here.)
  • All are welcome to join the closing ceremonies as readers or just as listeners. See below for more!

Closing Ceremonies

The closing ceremonies will be held on Sunday, 22 August 2021, at 15:00 UTC, on the SWG's Discord server. (Find the closing ceremonies in your own timezone here.) The closing ceremonies will consist of two components:

  • Medal Ceremony. What is an Olympics without medals? While our event was not competitive, medals are available to show appreciation for anyone who participated in the challenge, not matter how big or small their role. We will announce the medal recipients at the closing ceremonies; medals awarded will also be posted on our website after the event. You can award a medal here.
  • Middle-earth Olympics Fanwork Reading. We will close the event with an open mic portion for anyone who wants to read a fanwork or excerpt from a fanwork created for the challenge.
    • Please read only fanworks that you have created.
    • Readings should be kept to around five minutes or less.
    • Once everyone who wants to has had a chance to read, if we are still under an hour for the event, we will be glad to have participants read a second selection.
    • Participants who only want to listen are more than welcome.

If you're not a member of our Discord server, you can join in several ways:

  • If you're a logged-in member of our website, scroll to the bottom and find an open invite in the site's footer.
  • Contact the site mods and request an invite.
  • Shortly before the event, we will post an open invite to our social media and here on our website. Here it is.

Posted on 11 August 2021 (updated 16 October 2021) by Dawn Felagund