New Challenge: Dear Irmo

September 2021 challenge banner for Dear Irmo challenge with an old-fashioned typewriter

What is at least 330 years old and deliciously salacious? A young Glorfindel? A Númenórean king having a midlife crisis? That wheel of cheese lost in the darkest corner of the Bag End larder? All of the above, right?? (Well, maybe not the cheese …) And also …

... advice columns! Historians trace the first advice column to 1690, and in the three centuries hence, the heartsore, woebegone, and perpetually puzzled have turned to these "agony aunts" (and uncles) to solve their most debilitating dilemmas about family, work, and of course, love.

Prompts for this month's challenge will be an actual advice column, tweaked just slightly to make it more relevant for Middle-earth. You can use your prompt however you want. Answer the question with a fanwork! Create a fanwork about the dilemma described! Take a passage, phrase, or even just a single word to inspire your fanwork! We encourage you to be creative in how you use your prompts. (And remember that names and other details about the identities of "LWs" are changed to protect the guilty, so swap out characters as you please!) You can choose your own prompt from our collection of letters.

In order to receive a stamp for your fanwork, your response must be posted to the archive on or before 10 October 2021. For complete challenge guidelines, see the Challenges page.


Posted on 14 September 2021 (updated 16 October 2021) by Dawn Felagund