We Are Looking for Volunteers

We are looking for volunteers on the Silmarillion Writers Guild

Do you value the SWG and want to get involved at a level beyond sharing fanworks, reading fanworks, and leaving comments! Volunteer!

We are currently seeking volunteers for the following jobs on our site.

Around the World and Web Scout

Around the World and Web is a long-running section of our site that aims to signal-boost events, resources, and content of interest to visitors to our site. Scouts are volunteers who find content that might be of interest to SWG members and guests and post it to our site.

We are specifically looking for scouts for the following sites. If you are a part of the Tolkien fandom on these sites, why not consider sharing what you find with the SWG?

  • Tumblr
  • Twitter
  • the #signal-boosts channel on the SWG Discord server

How much time should I expect to spend as a scout?

The scout position is highly flexible in the amount of time required. You should expect to spend a few hours each month at a minimum, though you can of course spend more time if you want.

What are the requirements for a scout?

  • Familiarize yourself with the requirements for posting to Around the World and Web.
  • Use the form we provide on the site to share events, resources, and content that might interest visitors to our site.
  • Communicate with the site moderators if you are unable to complete your responsibilities or have questions about your job. Elleth is the moderator who runs the Around the World and Web section.

I'm interested! What next?

Contact the site moderators and let us know if you want to focus on scouting for a particular site. We'll get you set up with the permissions you need to start posting right away!

Note that we will also assign the Scout role to event organizers who wish to post announcements about their event on our site. You will also need to be familiar with the guidelines for Around the World and Web, but we will only expect to see new announcements from you about your event. Again, contact the mods to have this permission added.

Art Editor

The art editor will work with contributors to our newsletter and Reference Library to find artwork for their articles and essays.

How much time should I expect to spend as an art editor?

The art editor position varies based on upcoming publications in the newsletter and References. You should expect to spend one to three hours per week as an art editor.

What are the requirements for an art editor?

  • Familiarity with sites where Tolkien-based fanart is frequently posted (e.g., DeviantArt, Tumblr), including how to use them to contact artists.
  • Communication with newsletter and reference writers to discuss the direction of their work and preferences for art that will accompany it.
  • Communication with artists whose work is selected to obtain permission and discuss requirements for using the artist's work, such as how the artist would like to be credited.
  • The ability to complete the above steps within a week under most circumstances, or communicate with the Reference editors if you are unavailable or cannot meet a deadline.
  • The ideal art editor will have a high level of familiarity with the Tolkien fanart community and existing positive relationships with artists; however, all experience levels are encouraged to apply for this job.

I'm interested! What next?

Contact the site moderators and tell us a little bit about yourself! What is your experience with the Tolkien fanart and fanfiction communities? If you have prior experience leading projects, collaborating with others, or communicating with others, tell us about it!


Posted on 31 October 2021 (updated 10 January 2022) by Dawn Felagund