Morwen Learns of her Cousin's Fate by Himring

| | |

Fanwork Notes

A drabble containing a haiku.

Originally written for the November challenge "elegy" at tolkienshortfanworks, here interpreted as "lament for the dead", however short.

Warnings for grief/mourning, allusion to canonical death (suicide), and, generally, the aftermath of the Nirnaeth Arnoediad in Dor-lomin.

 

Fanwork Information

Summary:

Morwen hears from Annael that her cousin Rian has left his protection to seek death at the side of her fallen husband.

Major Characters:

Major Relationships: Morwen & Rían

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Fixed-Length Ficlet, Poetry

Challenges:

Rating: Teens

Warnings: Check Notes for Warnings

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 102
Posted on 11 December 2021 Updated on 11 December 2021

This fanwork is a work in progress.

Morwen Learns of her Cousin's Fate

Read Morwen Learns of her Cousin's Fate

Annael had tried to send news of Rian’s departure from Mithrim to her kin, but his messages long went astray. The report finally came to Morwen’s ears, as she was fetching water from the well.

At first, she stood apparently unmoved.

Then she spoke, as if to herself:
All flowers withered.
Now song also is silent.
Still, we must endure.

In her hands, suddenly the pitcher broke. Water gushed over her skirt and her feet, but she ignored it. Steadily she bade the messenger give Annael her thanks.

‘And keep my young kinsman safe. He will be better with him.’


Chapter End Notes

Partly also inspired by a meta post about Morwen and Rian by echoofthemusic on Tumblr.

(The haiku alludes to Rian's canonical association with flowers and song. The "young kinsman" is Rian's recently born son Tuor.)


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.