The Sea Within Me by chrissystriped

| | |

The Sea Within Me


Legolas sat on the thick branch of a tree, listening to the birds fluttering around in the leaves around and above him. The vibrant nature in Yavanna’s Garden helped ease the sea-longing in his heart. He’d hoped it would lessen, now that he’d reached the Blessed Realm, but as soon as he’d left the shore, the now familiar weigh on his heart had made itself felt again.

It didn’t help either, that he still keenly felt the loss of Aragorn and that Gimli had barely left Aule’s side since he’d been invited to the forge of the Vala. Legolas had tagged along, not sure where else to go and he’d been welcomed in the Vala's house, but he felt a little lonely. Not that he begrudged Gimli the attention of the maker of his people, his friend deserved this after daring the crossing.

He was relieved that they’d reached Aman and grateful to Galadriel that she’d spoken for them. But he also wasn’t sure what to do now. If the sea-longing wouldn’t go away, he’d probably move back to the coast. He’d liked what he'd seen of Alqualonde, colourful houses grouped around a natural harbour.

He looked down when he was greeted. A blond elf waved at him, a smile on his face and in his sky blue eyes.

“You must be Legolas”, he called up.

“I am.” Legolas hopped down. “You have me at a disadvantage, as I don’t know your name, my lord.”

“I’m Finrod. No, don’t!”, he exclaimed when Legolas bowed low to him, he might be a prince but this was a hero of the First Age even he had heard of. “No need for that. I like to keep things simple.” He was still smiling and it was so contagious that Legolas had to smile back.

“What can I do for you, my lord?”

“Oh, my sister said you’d have stories about the decendant of my favourite human and I think, she also felt you could need some company?” Finrod’s face became more serious. “If you’d rather be alone, please tell me. Artanis likes to... meddle and I know how it can hurt to lose someone to... the gift.”

“I could use some company”, Legolas found himself saying. “If you don’t have more important things to do.” He was the oldest son of the King of the Noldor after all.

“Not at all. Can I invite you for coffee and cake at a place in town?”

“Yes, thank you.”

Legolas had spent the last day in the garden, he hadn’t felt like exploring with that ache in his heart that called him to the sea, all alone.

 

“The ring you gave Barahir is still an heirloom, now of the Kings of Gondor and Arnor”, Legolas said after he’d told Finrod about Aragorn and Arwen. “They hold it in high honour for what it represents.”

“I’m glad you had better luck helping your human friend win his bride”, Finrod said with a wry smile. “It must help to not have a curse on your head.”

Legolas took a sip of coffee. They sat at a small square with a fountain in the middle, the sun was shining brightly, making the yellow painted houses glow.

“Well, I didn’t have to stand off directly against Sauron. I’m sure I’d have cut a worse figure than you. Even my father had praise for you.”

“Your father doesn’t like the Noldor, eh?” Finrod winked at him, he didn’t seem in the least perturbed by the thought.

“He... survived the kinslaying at Doriath but his mother died in the fighting and he never forgave it. She was the princes’ nanny and tried to protect them from the Feanorian soldiers.”

“I’m sorry”, Finrod said. “My cousins did a lot of bad things in the name of their Oath. Especially after it became clear that we wouldn’t be able to defeat Morgoth on our own.”

“And it’s not your fault.” Legolas didn’t say it, but he thought that Finrod had been fucked over by them too. “Can I ask you something?”

“Sure.” “The sea-longing... it always sounded to me, like it was a longing for Aman, induced by the sight of the sea, but it didn’t go away now that I’m here. I still long for the sea.”

“Well, you are of telerin descent.” Finrod sighed. “You probably talked to Noldor about your longing, and for us it is usually the longing for our home here, but for your kin... the sea is in your blood, even for some of you woodland people. You’ve been chosen by Ulmo, my mother’s kin would say. You can fight it, but it won’t go away. Better find a house on the shore and buy a boat. I know, that’s probably not, what you wanted to hear, but...”

“Oh, I’m relieved!”, Legolas interrupted him. “I thought... I was wondering if something was wrong with me. But if I’m not the only one...”

“Oh no.” Finrod laughed. “Not by a long stretch. I can assure you of that. I have relatives that seem to be more at home on a ship than on land. You’re good. Want me to introduce you to some people in Alqualonde. I’m guessing the boat you came on needs a bit of overhauling after her passage across the ocean.”

“I guess so...” Legolas hadn’t really thought of what would become of the Berthas. “I’ll ask Gimli and if he doesn’t mind me leaving him here alone, I’d be grateful for your introduction.”

He doubted that Gimli would mind. He hadn’t sounded like he intended to leave Aule’s company soon.

 

“What would you say, if I intended to go to Alqualonde to repair the Berthas?” Legolas said to Gimli over dinner. They made sure to share at least one meal a day, even if they went separate ways the rest of the day.

Gimli looked at him in surprise. “What for?”

“I miss the sea”, Legolas answered with a wry smile. Since he’d heard the gulls at Pelargir, he hadn’t felt as content as when they’d set out to sea. He’d thought then, it was because he’d finally turned to Aman, but after his conversation with Finrod, he was almost sure it was the sea itself that called him. “I’m beginning to think I’m not made for living on land – or at least not too far from the shore.”

Gimli’s eyes, surrounded by wrinkles, became worried. “I thought you were supposed to be healed of that here.”

Legolas shrugged. “I met Galadriel’s brother today. He says, it’s not uncommon among the Teleri to feel that sea-longing. Maybe I’m more Sea-elf than Wood-elf, after all.”

Gimli chuckled. “Well, lad, if that’s what you want, who am I to hold you back. Just please, don’t expect me to ever travel on a boat again, one long sea-journey is quite enough for me.”

“You look green even at the thought”, Legolas teased and winked at him.

“Hmph.” Gimli’s eyes almost vanished in the wrinkles as he smiled.

‘He’s become so old’, Legolas thought with a now familiar stab at his heart. ‘How much time will I have until he leaves me, too?’

That pain was the fate of elves who chose mortals as their friends. The loss of Aragorn was still an open wound, he knew it would be as bad when Gimli died. He wondered, if there was really a place in Aule’s vast halls, where the dead dwarves went to, as Gimli seemed to think – and if he would be able to visit him there. Asking Aule felt intimidating – maybe he’d ask Mithrandir, when he saw him the next time.

“So, how was Felagund?”, Gimli asked, turning Legolas’s thoughts back to the present.

“Bright”, Legolas answered with out thinking.

Gimli laughed loudly. “Figures. Was he sparkling with jewels?”

“No! I meant, he seemed very cheerful and happy. Not that he wore the Nauglamir! Which is, what I suppose you were referring to?”

“That, too. Gaudy thing.” Gimli grinned. “But, you know, elvish tastes rarely align with dwarvish ones –and my kin was paid well. I just meant that among the Khazâd Felagund’s love for gems and jewels is legendary. He could dazzle you with all the jewellery he’d be wearing to a feast.” Gimli chuckled and leaned back in his chair. “I’m glad you made a friend. I know I’m not the most attentive of friends right now. I’m sorry.”

“Don’t be. I wouldn’t want to pull you away from Aule.” Legolas smiled at him. “But I need to find my own place here and I think, Alqualonde might be a good start.”

Only later did he realise that he hadn’t objected to Gimli calling Finrod his friend. They’d only spent an afternoon together, but he did already feel like one. Legolas hoped, he wasn’t presuming too much.

 

~*~*~

 

Finrod found himself loitering on the wharf – as almost every day since they’d arrived –, trying to not be in the way of the craftspeople mending Legolas’s boat. He’d been surprised how small she was, he wouldn’t have thought it possible to cross an ocean on her – Ulmo must really be fond of this one.

Legolas was in between the shipwrights, helping and learning. Finrod didn’t know the first thing about building boats, he knew he was obsolete, but he didn’t want to let go of this new acquaintance just yet. So he’d accepted the hospitality of his grandfather, finding his way to the wharf each day, watching Legolas. He tried not to stare as he got rid of his shirt in the hot sun. The prince’s lean muscles spoke of his training as an archer and his skin was tanned. A bluish pattern covered his left shoulder and upper arm and his butter-coloured hair shone in the sun. Finrod felt himself stirring. Oh, he would not have minded to get to know Legolas better in that way, too.

One of the shipwrights nudged Legolas and he turned his head, looking at him. Finrod’s cheeks heated as he blushed and quickly looked away not wanting to be caught staring. He was probably rather obvious.

“I meant to invite you for dinner, Legolas!”, he called. Dinner. Lunch. Tea. Whatever excuse he could make to come here every day. “Will you do me the honour?”

“Gladly.” Legolas said something to his comrades that Finrod didn’t catch. “We’ll finish in about an hour, if that works for you?”

“It does, I’ll come back then.”

Finrod walked away as if he had somewhere to go – he’d just walk around town for a bit. He told himself, that it wasn’t only for Legolas’s sake that he was still here, he had a lot of friends and relations in Alqualonde who he enjoyed to spend time with, but he couldn’t delude himself to the point of denying that his motivation was to be close to Legolas. Strange, that.

He’d had lovers of both genders on and off. But he hadn’t felt as... infatuated since Amarie. She’d fallen in love with and married a Vanya, as her parents had wanted, while he’d been gone. They were on friendly terms and he was happy for her, but he hadn’t really fallen in love again.

For the first time the thought struck him that Artanis was playing match maker. She’d made some comments about him needing a partner. The idea annoyed him, but not enough to ignore Legolas just to spite her. The wood-elf intrigued him. He’d lived so much longer in Middle-Earth than Finrod and he’d counted both Men and Dwarves as his friends. Finrod had rarely met another elf who’d had been in such close contact with mortals by choice.

It was nice to hear stories about his life in Ithilien (he’d had to look that up on a map) — and also talk to him about his own experience with grieving for dead friends he’d never see again as long as the world lasted. There was rarely any elf who understood that special grief. On top of that he was increasingly becoming aware of Legolas’s physical qualities. Finrod had not found out yet, what Legolas thought of that, though he was sure that his interest was becoming very obvious.

The hour was almost up and he turned his steps back to the harbour. He decided to find out about Legolas’s feelings today. He was no insecure youth anymore, he would not agonise about it for years, until he let his interest be known.

 

“Galadriel insisted that she could climb that mast”, Finrod said. “And there she sat on the top of the highest mast, arms and feet wrapped around it like a cat who’d climbed too high a tree. Uncle Maiwe had to climb up and get her.”

Legolas laughed as much about the story as at Finrod’s self-satisfied smirk as he took a sip from his glass. He’d made it his goal to disabuse Legolas of the notion that Galadriel had always been the wise elven-queen he’d met in Lothlórien, telling him stories about their childhood.

“And does Galadriel have similar stories about you?”, Legolas teased.

“Oh, I’m sure she does!” Finrod grinned. “But she isn’t here, is she? How is your ship coming along, by the way?”

“She is almost seaworthy again”, Legolas answered happily. “I’ll be soon on a first journey.”

He was so excited, wanting to explore the seas and coast of Aman. Finrod’s face fell.

“Oh”, he said softly, taking another sip from his wine. “That’s nice.”

He sounded glum. It had not escaped Legolas how Finrod was looking at him – his new friends among the shipwrights had even resorted to call him his ‘suitor’. They teased him about it, but Legolas didn’t mind. He liked to feel wanted – it had been a while. And maybe he was flattering himself, but he thought he knew why Finrod didn’t seem to share his excitement, so he said: “Would you like to come with me? Only if you don’t have more important things to do, of course.”

Finrod’s face lit up again, he had such expressive features, even Legolas who hadn’t known him for that long could read him easily.

“I can shirk my duties as crown prince a little longer”, he said with a wink. “But don’t you want to take your dwarf-friend along?”

Legolas laughed. “Gimli told me in no uncertain terms that he’ll never set foot on a ship again. He’s had quite enough of the sea. I’d be happy if I’d have you as my companion, Finrod.”

“I’ll come gladly, but before you offer this to me, I want you to know something.” Finrod reached out to rest his fingers on the back of Legolas’s hand. “I’ve become very fond of you, Legolas. I’d be happy to... intensify our acquaintance, beyond sailing together, if you understand me.”

“I... might have already noticed”, Legolas said with a grin. As Finrod blushed, he bowed over the table to give him a quick kiss. “I’d be happy to become more closely acquainted, Finrod.”

Finrod laced their fingers together and kissed him back. “I hope you don’t mind that there’ll be gossip”, he whispered, his eyes darting around the terrace to look at the people sitting on the tables around them. “I’m sure there are a few people here who recognised me and people are very nosy when it comes to who I kiss.”

The humorous twinkle of his eyes told Legolas that he didn’t mind it that much himself.

“I don’t care”, Legolas answered. “If it doesn’t bother you. Are we acting inappropriately? Kissing in public?”

According to his father, the Noldor had brought some strange customs back from Aman. He didn’t know what social rules he might be breaking without even knowing.

Finrod grinned. “Do you think I’d care if we were? But no, not here. We might draw some judging looks if we did that in Tirion, but not in Alqualonde.”

Legolas relaxed and enjoyed Finrod’s fingers caressing the back of his hand, his thumb stroking the inside of his wrist.

“We’ll have a lot of private time on my ship”, he promised and Finrod’s smile turned wicked.

“I’m counting on that”, he purred, making Legolas shiver with excitement.

 

~*~*~

 

They’d been sailing on a south-easterly course until the shoreline of Aman receded behind them and they reached what had once been the Enchanted Isles. There was no danger from them now, the enchantments lifted. They’d dropped anchor at dusk, in a bay with water that was turquoise-blue in the sunlight — Legolas thought he’d like to swim in it tomorrow — and mirrored the stars above them at night.

They lay on the deck, the mild night-air stroking their faces. Legolas tried to join the stars with his finger to show Finrod the constellation.

“That’s the stag”, he said. “My people often depict Tauron with antlers, linking him to the stag. We only hunt red deer at special festivals, out of respect for the King of the Forest, but we collect the shed antlers and make buttons and handles for knives from them.”

“You are so different from my people – both my people – or the Sindar I met in Beleriand. I think the Laiquendi of Ossiriand are comparable – they did not like Beor’s people hunting in their woods.”

Finrod had turned his head and eyed him with a strange look in his eyes.

“What?”, asked Legolas with a laugh. “I’m wondering how to break it to you gently that Orome is himself hunting deer.”

Legolas grinned and gave him a quick kiss on the nose, feeling bold. They hadn’t really made any headway on that front since Finrod’s ‘confession’, the moment had never felt right.

“You’re adorable when you worry”, he said. Maybe today, on this warm summer night. “No, I know that he does. But he is the Great Hunter, the rules we make don’t count for him.”

Finrod blinked bemused at him and Legolas wondered, how to explain it further. “I’m adorable?”, he said and Legolas blushed. Oh, it had been the kiss.

“I hope you don’t think me presumptuous. I know the Noldor are a bit... uhm, held back when it comes to sexual relationships.”

Finrod laughed. “The word you’re not saying is ‘uptight’. Don’t worry, I’m not insulted. Some of us are very traditional, but me...”, he shrugged and an impish grin came to his lips. “I am half-telerin and they aren’t nearly as stiff. Let’s say the laid-back attitude of the Laiquendi in this regard rather suited me.”

“Well, then.”

Legolas turned around and kissed him full on the lips, feeling him first tense in surprise then open his mouth. Finrod’s hand came up to cradle the back of his head, his fingers sliding into his hair. They kissed for a long time, tongues meeting, teeth nibbling on soft lips. It felt so good. Legolas thought he could spent the whole night like this. The starry sky above him, the waves lapping gently at the hull of his boat, a lovely elf in his arms. What could one want more? Finrod’s hand slid down to cup his growing arousal and Legolas moaned into their kiss. Oh. Yes. That would make it even better.

 

“Sooo”, Legolas said later, drawing vines on Finrod’s naked chest with the tip of his index finger. “Gimli says you have a reputation for loving to wear sparkly things. I haven’t seen any of that yet. True or exaggeration?”

Finrod chuckled and stretched like a cat, even giving a soft purr.

“You haven’t seen me at court, yet. Yes, I do like jewellery – every self-respecting Noldo does – but there is the right time for everything and a cruise is no place for that kind of attire.” He grinned at Legolas. “Also, I heard that someone’s father was very big on jewels, too. Mr Bilbo Baggins had quite a lot to say about that.”

“Oh, he would have.” He hadn’t known the old hobbit well, but the hobbits among the walkers had all spoken very affectionately of him. He’d been to the ringbearers’ graves and paid his respects. If not for their courage, all would have been lost. “That was a very unfortunate business.” His mother had been furious at them, when she’d heard about what had happened at Erebor on their return.

“It’s good to know that everyone has fuck-ups in their history. Sometimes I felt like my extended family had the monopoly on bad decisions.” Finrod gave him a wry smile. “Want to come with me to Tirion sometime and see my wardrobe?”

“You mean... meet your family?”, Legolas asked, his heart fluttering.

“If you want to?” Finrod reached for his hand. “No strings attached, of course, I won’t jump an engagement on you. And also… you told me about your sea-longing. I wouldn’t want to drag you away from the sea and make you hurt that way.”

“That’s nice of you.” Legolas kissed his chest. The sea-longing had been almost indiscernible at Alqualonde and had vanished completely at sea. “But it’s alright. When I didn’t understand why I was still feeling it, although I’d reached Aman, it was worrying and hard to bear but now that I know it means I belong at sea, I can endure it for a while. It is not so bad, not a pain, just a tugging, a… longing to be somewhere else.” Legolas shrugged, he couldn’t really explain it very well. “I’d like to come to Tirion with you.”

Finrod kissed him gently. “And I’ll show you my home. I’m glad you feel better about your sea-longing now.”

“Thanks to you.” Legolas snuggled into Finrod’s arms. “It was you who explained to me what it was. I’d still sit in a tree in Yavanna’s garden — and don’t get me wrong, it was nice there — and wonder what was wrong with me, that I was still missing something in the Blessed Realm.”

“I could say some things about the Blessed Realm now, but I won’t. I’m glad you can find peace at sea.”

Finrod’s hand stroked soothingly down his back and Legolas closed his eyes. Peace, yes. And also something more in the arms of this elf — though he wasn’t sure yet, how much more.

 

Legolas stood on the ship’s rail in all his naked glory and Finrod, who was already in the water did not try to hide that he was staring. Legolas winked at him before diving head-first into the water in a graceful arc. The water was so clear that Finrod could see him swim a few strokes before coming up for air, a laugh on his lips. Finrod’s heart beat quicker at seeing him so happy. That day they’d first met, he’d thought Galadriel had been right to send someone to be his friend. He’d looked so lonely and sad. Finrod swam over circling him and playfully trying to grapple him. He knew now that it had been the sea-longing, at least in part, that had made Legolas so sad and that he was feeling lighter now that he was in it, but Finrod thought that he could take a little credit himself for the source of Legolas’s happiness.

They laughed as they tried to dunk each other under water, their strength was evenly matched, Finrod was a little taller, but that didn’t make a lot of difference in water that was so deep that they couldn’t stand. Finally, Legolas managed to wrap his arms around him and gave him a salty kiss. Finrod stopped struggling, melting into his embrace, their legs brushed together as they paddled to stay afloat. He made a protesting sound when Legolas let go of him.

“Race you to the shore!”, Legolas shouted and Finrod hurried to follow him. He’d be damned if he let a wood-elf win a swimming contest against him.

Finrod breathed heavily as he reached the shore, barely a handbreadth  before Legolas, and crawled onto the beach to lie in the warm sand. Legolas flopped down beside him.

“Did I wake the noldorin competitiveness?”, he joked.

“You can say that. But I want you to remember that you started it.”

They looked at each other and started laughing.

“It felt so strange to live among mortals, you know”, Legolas said pensively. “I felt so old and yet so young. Old, because the years I spent with them went by so quickly and they changed while I stayed the same. Young, because as they age, they stop being what they call ‘childish’ and only indulge in ‘foolishness’ when they’ve drunk too much. I think, that’s one of the reasons I enjoy Gimli’s company so much. His sense of humour is odd sometimes, but he never lost it.”

“I’d like to meet your friend sometime.” Finrod could hear how fond Legolas was of him. He’d rarely heard of any elf being so close to a dwarf, never from someone who was not a Noldo, sharing the affinity for craftsmanship with them. “He must be something, if he could charm my sister into giving him strands of her hair.”

“Is it true that she turned Feanor down?”, Legolas asked.

“Oh yes, and you should have heard her afterwards. ‘How dare he? Made it sound like he was doing me a favour!’”

Legolas chuckled. “Well, Gimli was much more courteous and maybe she became more soft with age.”

Finrod couldn’t help it, he laughed loudly. “Don’t let her hear that! Artanis is never going to become soft.” He kissed Legolas on the tip of his nose. “Always remember: I’m the nice one in the family.”

“You’ve been certainly very nice to me”, Legolas purred, rolling on his side and catching his lips in a proper kiss, his hand sliding down his chest.

Finrod smoothed Legolas’s wet hair out of his face. He felt giddy with the newness of their attraction. He hadn’t felt like this in so long. No, as he’d said yesterday, he wouldn’t jump an engagement on Legolas, it was much too soon to contemplate it, but he already knew that this felt different from the few dalliances he’d had in the years since his rebirth. And it felt good.

 

~*~*~

 

Finrod glowered at Galadriel’s self-satisfied smile, when she encountered him and Legolas walking arm in arm through the palace-gardens of Tirion.

“You have a tan”, she noted.

“We had very nice weather”, Finrod answered.

‘You’ve been meddling with my affairs again’, he said to her via ósanwe. ‘You know how I hate that.’

Galadriel smiled pleasantly at Legolas while she enquired about his time at sea.

‘But the outcome seems to your liking. I knew he’d be right for you.’

Finrod fumed silently while trying not to let Legolas know about their silent conversation. He had nothing to retort to that. He hated it, when his little sister was right!

‘You must really like him, if you invite him to meet our parents.’

Finrod rolled his eyes at her, but there was no denying it.

‘I do’, he said. ‘But we are only at the beginning, so don’t make any ambiguous comments.’

‘I promise.’ She smiled at him. ‘It’s good to know you’re happy — both of you.’

“I’ll leave you now to enjoy your privacy”, she said aloud. “See you at dinner.”

Finrod led Legolas to a pavilion overgrown with roses, the air filled with their scent, where they sat down.

“Why do I have a feeling that there was another conversation going on”, Legolas said with a wry smile as he leaned back on the bench.

Finrod blushed. “Sorry, that just comes naturally with being siblings. I know it’s not very polite.”

“It’s fine. I’m not insulted. You just had this faraway look on your face.”

Legolas laid his arm around his shoulder and Finrod’s heart beat quicker. They’d spent a few weeks at sea and had thoroughly enjoyed each other’s company, but touching each other here in public — showing that their relationship was not friendship — made him feel giddy. It was very Noldo of him to think of showing their affection as a proof of the seriousness of their relationship, he was aware of that. Likely, Legolas with his different upbringing didn’t think too much of it. But still, he liked that feeling. Finrod leaned into him, relaxing against his side.

“What do you think of Tirion so far?” They’d arrived yesterday at dusk and spent today walking around the town.

“It’s beautiful”, Legolas answered.

“But?”, asked Finrod, hearing that wasn’t all.

Legolas shrugged. “I’m not made for living in a city, I never was. Though I could be persuaded to stay in this garden.”

“I’ll let beds be brought out. We often slept outside in summer, when we were children.”

“There always must have been a lot of commotion, with so many children around.”

“Oh, there was. And me, being the oldest of my sibling always getting in trouble, if they got up to something.”

“You of course being entirely innocent.”

“Of course.” Finrod smiled sweetly and Legolas laughed. “Yes, it was nice.” It had gotten very quiet after Feanor had been exiled. Finrod shook his head. “I’ve heard your father had his court in a cave, too. Was that not a proper city?”, he asked, coming back to Legolas’s comment from earlier.

“Not really.” Legolas played with some strands of Finrod’s hair as he searched for words. “Yes, my father had his palace underground — harking back to Menegroth — but most of our people lived outside in the forest. The caves were also a fortress, where people could hide in the event of an attack, but it was never really a city — a place were nature has to bow to the needs of a people.”

“Ah.” Finrod thought he could spend days just sitting here and have his hair petted by him. “I understand how you’re thinking. But well… being a Noldo and having grown up in this city, it feels normal to me. I like being outside, hunting, exploring — and obviously I have a thing for caves”, Legolas laughed at that, “but I think Nargothrond was a proper city and I feel most comfortable in a building made of stone.”

They were so different in many ways. Finrod wondered, if they could make this relationship work for an extended time but then he berated himself. If they really wanted to, they’d find a way.

“Have you thought about where you want to live, when you’re not at sea.”

“Yes, actually. The landward side of Tol Eressea is densely forested and few people live there. I think that would be a good place for me. Trees around me but the sea close by.”

“Oh, that’s a good idea. It’s very beautiful there. I hope, I’ll be allowed to visit.”

Legolas smiled at him. “I insist on it.” He stood up and offered Finrod his hand. “I think we should get ready for dinner now.”

Finrod thought he saw a little nervousness in his face and squeezed his hand. “Don’t worry, they’ll like you”, he said.

‘Because you make me happy and they want me to be happy’, he thought, not wanting to move to quickly, but very much feeling it.

 

~*~*~

 

Legolas had just cast his fishing rod when he became aware of a ship coming towards the pier he shared with the other people living close by. He’d built himself a talan in a tree who’s branches reached out over the water and the sea-longing was barely there. He liked it here. The people were friendly and helpful and it wasn’t a long cruise to Alqualonde where they bought most of their food.

He squinted at the ship, he knew the ones that belonged to his neighbours and this was not one of them. His heart started to beat quicker at the thought that Finrod might be coming. They hadn’t seen each other for a while, although they’d exchanged letters. If there had been a fish on his hook right now, he wouldn’t have noticed so intent was he on the ship slowly sailing closer.

He waved excitedly when he was finally sure that it was Finrod standing at the helm and his friend waved back. Finrod jumped off the ship even before it was properly moored and drew Legolas in a hug.

“What a coincidence that you’re here! I thought I’d have to search for you.”

“You could have written that you intend to visit!”, Legolas laughed.

“But I wanted it to be a surprise. A pleasant one I hope?” Finrod beamed at him and Legolas kissed him deeply.

“You know that it is a pleasant one”, he said when they parted a little breathlessly. “It’s great that you’re here. Come”, Legolas took Finrod’s hand firmly in his, “let me show you my new home.”

Finrod laughed as he towed him along. “Someone’s very eager”, he teased. “I hope your bed is comfortable.”

Legolas smiled back at him, his heart flowing over with happiness.

“It is”, he promised. “And I hope you’ll spend many hours there with me in the time to come.”

Finrod smiled back his radiant smile. “I will.”


Table of Contents | Leave a Comment