Summoned to Council by Lindariel

| | |

Fanwork Notes

My prompt for this work was a green cloth bookcover stamped in gilt with 22 sheep in a field of flowers with a shepherd and a dog; the volume is Scenes of Clerical Life by George Eliot, illustrated by Hugh Thomson (Macmillan, 1906). 

The drabbles are 100 words apiece in LibreOffice.

Year 7 of the Sun, western Beleriand

Fanwork Information

Summary:

A road trip in six drabbles.

Major Characters: Celeborn, Galadriel

Major Relationships: Celeborn/Galadriel

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Fixed-Length Ficlet, General

Challenges: Book by Its Cover, New Year's Resolution

Rating: General

Warnings:

This fanwork belongs to the series

Chapters: 6 Word Count: 615
Posted on 11 January 2022 Updated on 11 January 2022

This fanwork is complete.

The Summons Arrives

This chapter takes place in Eglarest, where Alatáriel and Teleporno have lived since they came to the mortal lands.

Read The Summons Arrives

Alatáriel sighed, refolding the letter and letting it fall to her lap. Teleporno leaned toward her. "What is it?" he asked.

"My uncle is calling a family council," she said. "Like Tirion, Mithrim is growing too small for the House of Míriel and the House of Indis to share."

"Sparks will fly," Teleporno laughed. "It is lucky we are so far from that forge."

"O no," Alatáriel replied, "my big brother will be in the thick of it, and he asks that I come also."

"Then I will go with you. It is time we saw more of this land."

Road Trip!

This chapter also takes place in Eglarest.

Read Road Trip!

Later Teleporno read the letter. Ñolofinwë, now High King of the Noldor, was hosting some kind of a summit meeting. Ingoldo did not just want to see his sister; he wanted her to represent her own interests in whatever was about to occur. She was not heedless like Írissë, to be shut out while elders decided weighty matters.

Along with his letter Ingoldo had sent three guides to bring Alatáriel to Lake Mithrim. If she -- they -- set out quickly she would arrive well before the meeting, giving the Fëanorions time to come to terms with her uninvited presence.

Crossing Narog

Read Crossing Narog

The three Grey-Elves sent by Ingoldo led them northeast across the rolling plains for many days. They crossed Narog at its juncture with Ginglith because, Lathrandis explained, all other crossings were unsafe for horses. Teleporno eyed the rushing waters and frowned.

Alatáriel watched, knowing what he was thinking. "Not every river is as suited as Nenning for the sailing of swan ships," she said.

"Then we must keep traveling," he said. "Surely some other body of water on this trip would welcome swan ships."

"Do you think of nothing else?" she laughed.

"Almost," he said, turning to meet her eyes.

The Forest of Brethil

Read The Forest of Brethil

After the Crossings of Teiglin led into the forest of Brethil, Alatáriel began to breathe more deeply. The open canopy of fragrant silver birch trees sheltered many plants she had not seen before, and the nightingale song reminded her of the gardens of Lórien. One plant seemed to cover every little hillock in the forest with star-white blossoms. "We call that flower uilos," said Thoneth when Alatáriel asked.

Thoneth also collected herbs as they went, healing herbs as far as Alatáriel could tell. But when Alatáriel asked about the red mushroom with the white spots, Thoneth just shook her head.


Chapter End Notes

uilos (S) -- also called "everwhite" (Westron) and simbelmynë (Quenya)

The Plains of Mithrim

Read The Plains of Mithrim

Beyond the Ered Wethrin stretched shadowless plains. As they turned to follow another river northward, Alatáriel took great interest in the stands of mixed alder and pine trees and the myriad flowering bushes dotting the sloping prairie land.

One grassy meadow where they stopped to eat was scattered with little flowers, each a corona of white ray petals around a yellow center. "We call that flower eirien," Thoneth volunteered. Alatáriel was delighted to see countless black and white short-tailed sheep busily biting the heads off those flowers. While she sketched the sheep, Teleporno twined her a crown of the flowers.


Chapter End Notes

eirien (S) -- daisy

The Vales of Ered Wethrin

Read The Vales of Ered Wethrin

They forded a nameless tributary of Sirion, then turned northwest and followed it upstream into the vales of Ered Wethrin. Though it was nigh midsummer, the weather in the mountains was cool enough that Alatáriel was grateful every evening for her heavy hood and cloak. How the three guides stayed warm enough in only their light, silvery grey cloaks, she had no idea. But they seemed happier now, unexpectedly breaking into song day and night. Thavron grew more friendly, talking shop with Teleporno about the trees in this part of the world and what their wood was suited to become.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


I can so easily picture the changing countryside from your descriptions. I like details, such as noticing and enjoying the flowers while also collecting herbs... but not telling Galadriel what the fly agaric (I presume) is for. The way Celeborn dreams of sailing his swan ships again, and she's reminded of Lórien by the nightingales. The way the Sindar and Noldor become more comfortable in each others company is so true for a long trip. (If it doesn't go the other way!). I like the phrasing of "the House of Míriel and the House of Indis." Lovely little trip through Northern Beleriand, thank you!