The king perishes with his city by elennalore

| | |

Fanwork Notes

Written for SWG challenge Opposites Attract. My prompt was: build-demolish.

Fanwork Information

Summary:

Turgon watches Gondolin burn. Someone watches Turgon.

Major Characters: Turgon

Major Relationships:

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Drama

Challenges: Opposites Attract

Rating: Teens

Warnings: Mature Themes

Chapters: 1 Word Count: 526
Posted on 25 February 2022 Updated on 26 February 2022

This fanwork is complete.

The king perishes with his city

Read The king perishes with his city

Turgon looked down from his tower; he looked at his city but did not see it burn. No, he saw it like it had been before, when it had only been a vision in his head. He had loved the city already even though it had existed only in his mind.

 

He had wanted to give his people a little glimpse of Valinor. A city made of white stone, its terraces and squares filled with plants and trees and pleasant-sounding fountains, its magnificent arches and towers standing bold. A gem not like anything else, kept in a hidden valley, guarded by the Eagles.

 

He had been content with his life there, although real happiness had evaded him since Valinor. It should have been an impossible plan, to build a city in secret and move his folk there unseen. But nothing was impossible for those who had crossed the ice.

 

His hands rested on the cold marble. Now he saw the flames and destruction. Wormlike beasts breathing fire, shadowy figures amongst the fumes. He saw an arch collapse, and a black hollow emptiness lingered where a building had stood before. Nothing that was alive could survive the fire of the beasts. It killed even stone.

 

He did not cry or wail, for he was already dead, as much as the city was already dead. The fact that he was still breathing was just a little imperfection.

 

“Have you watched enough?” said a voice behind him. It sounded bored, like the owner of the voice would have liked to be anywhere else than in Turgon’s tower – perhaps in the main square with those fiery beings, demolishing the city and obliterating its beauty.

 

“No,” he answered, for it suddenly amused him to stall Morgoth’s lieutenant while he could continue to lament the fall of his city a little bit longer.

 

A clear ‘humph’ was expressed from behind him, but the evil spirit let him watch it for some time before speaking again.

 

“You know that there will be nothing left of this place when we are finished, only ash and broken stone.”

 

“I am aware that the memory of this city will survive in the hearts of every of its citizen,” Turgon replied, rather sharply.

 

“And your dead body will lie in the middle of this devastation until the flames will catch it and it will finally burn to ashes," the being continued.

 

“You are ordering me a funeral pyre, how very thoughtful of you.”

 

“I’m sure you have seen enough,” Morgoth’s lieutenant said, venom in his voice.

 

Slowly, Turgon turned to face him. He was ready to perish with his city. Unarmored. He had guessed that it would come to this.

 

“Do what you came here to do,” he commanded the enemy, and weariness filled him.

 

Morgoth’s lieutenant wore a full body armour and held a spear in his gloved hand. He raised his spear, ready to thrust it forward.

 

Turgon’s sword had been taken away by the Orcs who had broken into the tower. He gasped but did not move. He was, after all, as dead as his city already.


Chapter End Notes

It's not mentioned in canon that Sauron was in Gondolin, but I hope you allow me to play with the canon a little.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.

elennalore has requested the following types of constructive criticism on this fanwork: Characterization, Conflict, Description/Imagery, Mood/Tone, Setting. All constructive criticism must follow our diplomacy guidelines.


He did not cry or wail, for he was already dead, as much as the city was already dead. The fact that he was still breathing was just a little imperfection.
Oooh, awesome line that hit me right in the heart.

Sauron not only being at the fall of Gondolin but also the one to kill Turgon and trying to taunt him (I get the feeling he doesn't succeed very well, Turgon is already resigned to his fate) is a great idea. That makes him the killer of both of the elves Ulmo chose as the builders of secret kingdoms.
“You know that there will be nothing left of this place when we are finished, only ash and broken stone.”
“I am aware that the memory of this city will survive in the hearts of every of its citizen,” Turgon replied, rather sharply.

And this also reminds me of the song duel between Finrod and Sauron. Sauron tries to push him down, but while Turgon his not exactly hopeful (he knows it's already over), he insists that it wasn't all for nothing.

Ooh, a lot of contrasts in this that serve really well to emphasise the extremes.

And I imagine there is a kind of peace that settles within one with the acceptance of the inevitability of events to follow. Letting go is a form of death, and yet it makes one more connected to the essence of life than ever.

Very emotive...