I Choose a Mortal Life by Uvatha the Horseman

| | |

The Voyage Home


Elrond stood at the stern, watching his brother waving from the dock until he couldn't see him anymore. Within a short time, only the wooded slopes of the mountainside were still visible.

What did Elros' future hold? Elrond waited.

The wind freshened, and the filled the sails filled with a snap. The ship heeled over as it picked up speed. They reached the open ocean. Only half of the mountain was visible now.

The ship's wake churned lines in the dark blue sea. A blunt-nosed dolphin followed them, occasionally leaping out of the water. White seabirds floated just above the rigging.

Still nothing. The Sight wasn't there for him today.

Just then, the image filled his mind. Elros stood on a marble balcony, a winged helmet resting on his iron-grey hair. His queen stood at his side, surrounded by their children. A roar from the crowd that filled the plaza rose to a deafening crescendo. Elros saluted his people. Around the square, every building around the plaza was magnificent, a palace in its own right, and ships from all nations filled the harbor.

The last of Númenor sank below the horizon. Elrond watched for a few minutes more, then moved forward to the bow.

Two days later, the watchtower above the chalk hills of Lindon came into view. He' been away longer than he'd intended. There were so many tasks waiting for him at home, not least of which was a Council meeting at the end of the month.

It fell to him to invite all those who needed to be there. He had to be sure not to seat antagonists next to each other. He'd made that mistake once. It had been expensive in terms of glassware, but enjoyable for those who loved drama.

There was only one good thing about Elros' becoming mortal. With no other living relatives, Elrond would never have to go through this again.


Table of Contents | Leave a Comment