Gravity Is a Harsh Mistress by Grundy

Fanwork Information

Summary:

Three drabbles on a theme for Arda On Ice.

Major Characters: Curufin, Finrod Felagund, Turgon

Major Relationships: Curufin & Finrod & Turgon

Artwork Type: No artwork type listed

Genre: Fixed-Length Ficlet

Challenges: Arda on Ice

Rating: General

Warnings:

Chapters: 3 Word Count: 309
Posted on 14 April 2022 Updated on 14 April 2022

This fanwork is a work in progress.

Euler: Involve Mathematics

Read Euler: Involve Mathematics

Turukano frowned.

“Are you sure about this,” he asked his cousins dubiously, eying the nearly finished wings.

“Of course,” Ingo grinned. “And think how much fun it will be to rub it in to your older brother that you did something he didn’t.”

“You don’t have an older brother,” Turukano pointed out.

I have four, and two of them are insufferable,” Curvo sniffed. “I’m sure. I did the math myself. It will work. But if you don’t want in…”

“I didn’t say that,” Turukano said hastily. “I just don’t want a lecture from your father about how elves can’t fly!”

Flying: a moment of uncertainty

Read Flying: a moment of uncertainty

There was a moment with any new creation where you were unsure if it would work as intended. Curufinwë knew this well. Unfortunately, he was young enough – and as yet inexperienced enough, Atto always stressed that experience was a teacher like any other – that as often as not, he found himself unable to bring his visions to fruition.

This time, though… The wings were a thing of beauty. Making three sets rather than two had been no great bother, particularly not when Turvo helped. He was rather good at carving, though he’d had to be dissuaded from attempting individual feathers.

Three turn: something that comes in threes

Read Three turn: something that comes in threes

It had seemed a splendid idea at the time – all three of them should attempt flight at once. After all, they’d all helped, so why should they not all bask in the glory? The ‘first’ would be shared equally among them.

Unfortunately, for all their confidence, it seemed there had been a flaw somewhere. They did not fly like birds. They flew more like rocks, landing in an ignominious and rather painful heap at the base of the largest fig tree in the gardens.  

Ingo groaned as he tried to extricate himself from the tangle of broken wings and cousins.


Comments

The Silmarillion Writers' Guild is more than just an archive--we are a community! If you enjoy a fanwork or enjoy a creator's work, please consider letting them know in a comment.


Haha! This is so classic, I can just see these youngsters, so full of the confidence that comes from having a bit of knowledge, skill, and not nearly enough experience!

(Thank goodness they're Elves, they might not have lived to learn from it otherwise!)

Yes, they knew what they were doing...right up until gravity proved they didn't.

(Don't worry, young humans have tried similar things from similar heights and lived to tell the tale. There were all manner of shenanigans involving the shed roof and the tire swing at my great-aunt's when I was a kid, and the worst that ever happened was a broken leg.)

This fits right in with the flight sequence, adding all kinds of detail to the tale of the wooden wings. I love the line at the end, the image of broken wings and cousins, with how broken the cousins might be left to the imagination.