"The Rings of Power" and the SWG

As we approach the release date of the new Rings of Power show, the mods have been in discussion about how best to handle the show on the SWG. Because the show is based on LotR Appendix materials, we expect much more overlap with our group than the two Jackson trilogies. We know that some SWG members will be really into the show, and others will want to avoid it entirely. We have discussed how to balance these competing interests so that everyone feels welcome and valued here and can "do fandom" in the way that is best for them.

Our complete policy on The Rings of Power can be found here, but check out the highlights below.

  • RoP fans are welcome here, and we continue to welcome new Tolkien fans. We will not tolerate disparagement of fans (whether present here or not) because of their interest in the show, newness to Tolkien/fandom, or lack of knowledge about the legendarium.
  • At the same time, we ask RoP fans respect that we are predominantly a Silmarillion group and keep RoP discussions to spaces created for those discussions (currently, this is the #tv channel on our Discord server) or on fanworks for/about RoP.
  • RoP is based off the LotR Appendices and, as such, is not a related work to The Silmarillion. Therefore, strictly RoP fanworks do not meet the criteria for our site. Silmarillion-based fanworks that use elements from RoP are welcome, but we ask that they be labeled as crossovers. How we define "Silm fanworks" can be found here.
  • RoP fanworks will be eligible for our Beyond the Silmarillion archive.

As always, if you have questions, please contact our moderators!


Posted on 28 July 2022 (updated 28 July 2022) by Dawn Felagund