Cultus Dispatches: A Tribute to the Library of Moria

Banner reads Cultus Dispatches, A Tribute to the Library of Moria

Founded in 2002, the Library of Moria is one of the Tolkien fandom's oldest fanfiction archives. Amid numerous archive closures in recent years, it is also one of the longest-enduring.

As the Library prepares to close and move its fanworks to AO3 via the Open Doors project, we want to remember not only the site's history but its invaluable contributions to the culture of the Tolkien fanworks fandom. Known as a welcoming and fun-loving place, the Library served as a counterpoint to more exclusive and conflict-driven fandom spaces and, through the joy and love they felt for Tolkien's world, Library authors helped move the slash and femslash genres from the hidden corners of the internet to the mainstream.

You can read this month's article here:  A Tribute to the Library of Moria.

Remember, Cultus Dispatches is always looking for contributors to our column about Tolkien fandom history and culture. Find out more about writing for this column here.

In addition, "A Tribute to the Library of Moria" is an open article that is part of our ongoing efforts to preserve memories from fandom history. Was the Library of Moria important to your fandom experience? Contact Dawn to share your memories of the Library (or if you want to share but aren't sure where to begin, message Dawn for a list of questions to get you started).


Posted on 30 July 2022 (updated 26 August 2022) by Dawn Felagund